Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #1 
logisticsguy

A Giant Betta Journal

A few months ago I decided I really wanted a Giant betta and after spending too much time on aquabid ordered a breeding pair from Thailand. Moose (renamed twice) and his sibling sister arrived healthy. After a failed breeding attempt the female died suddenly. It was very sad because she was a beauty. Moose is a super energetic giant who got moved into his own 33g tank. He is about 6 months old an entering his prime breeding time so though we would give it another try and ordered 3 Giant females from another thai breeder. Today they arrived after the long trip. To my horror the 1st girl was long dead. The second girl was in rough shape, gasping for air and faded. Girl 3 was in very good condition and had no problems. Still kinda hurt to see the one female who died. imo the bags were very low on water for a fish this size but not going to complain shipping is always risky. Down the road I plan to breed the Giants but not until they are very conditioned and in top shape. I would like to use this journal to talk about Giants, specifically about their care, genetics and breeding challenges.

So this is what they looked like this afternoon any opinion on water level? Am I off base thinking very low?

The dead female

The nearly dead girl

The healthy girl
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #2 
logisticsguy

Tonight girl 2 was looking much better, less gasping and even ate a little so I think she should make it. They are each in a 10g with heater and seasoned sponge filters.

Here are some pics from tonight. Oh I need help with names.

Girl 1

Girl 2 Looking better now

Here is Moose who had a panic attack when he saw the new girls.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #3 
Stone

Very pretty girls you have there, if I was to breed my king elvis I would like a girl like #2 I think they would produce some very pretty babies, I agree the water in their bags looked much too low, they need more than that to move around in and besides that they produce far more ammonia than a standard sized betta, I currrently have 2 giant males elvis the halfmoon and harley he is more of a wild type looking one, elvis is big i would say about 4 inches from the tip of his nose to the start of his tailfin, harley is much smaller than elvis but I will say out of all my bettas they seem to be the healthiest
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The look amazing! I'm sad the one girl is dead though... That doesn't look like nearly enough water. Did you test the water from the surviving girls bags to check if ammonia was at a dangerous level? I sure hope yo are getting a refund too. I'm super excited for you to breed them and will be watching this journal carefully!

Also, kings and giants are two different things, remember.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #5 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
Very pretty girls you have there, if I was to breed my king elvis I would like a girl like #2 I think they would produce some very pretty babies, I agree the water in their bags looked much too low, they need more than that to move around in and besides that they produce far more ammonia than a standard sized betta, I currrently have 2 giant males elvis the halfmoon and harley he is more of a wild type looking one, elvis is big i would say about 4 inches from the tip of his nose to the start of his tailfin, harley is much smaller than elvis but I will say out of all my bettas they seem to be the healthiest
Thanks Stone. Giants are far more active than I thought they would be before I had any. They do have an enormous appetite but ive learned its very important to not overfeed them. What do you feed yours? Mine eats nls betta, bloodworms, nls Thera A dipped in Garlic guard 2x per week, beefheart 1x per week. Moose hated pellets at first but has gotten more used to them over time. Pellets were definitely not on the menu for him back in Thailand.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #6 
BettaLover1313

Wow! Beautiful giants! Very sorry to hear about the one girl dying though.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #7 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
The look amazing! I'm sad the one girl is dead though... That doesn't look like nearly enough water. Did you test the water from the surviving girls bags to check if ammonia was at a dangerous level? I sure hope yo are getting a refund too. I'm super excited for you to breed them and will be watching this journal carefully!

Also, kings and giants are two different things, remember.
The seller is sending a very nice replacement next shipment and has been great to deal with. The ammonia was super high in the bags nearly off the chart. Girl 2 was poisoned for sure but is making a nice recovery. The new girls are 3 inches which is pretty good size for young females. Glad it wasn't just me thinking the water was too low in the bags, it was less than the average sized betta had when Ive imported before.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

CJ, when Lazarus came in, Linda had rebagged him and gave him an almond leaf, his water level was almost twice of girl 1's! O.o It actually makes me pretty sad that she didn't make it to you, she looks like she was a beauty.

Could you and Stone please tell Lazarus that giants are supposed to be more active, and not sit under their feeding ring, looking pathetic all day? lol He's really low key, and always hungry.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread though. I would love to see your replacement lady when she comes.

As for names, "Delilah" came to mind as soon as I saw girl 2. lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #9 
10asartin

I love the name Cruella Deville for girl 1. 101 Dalmatians!
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #10 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
CJ, when Lazarus came in, Linda had rebagged him and gave him an almond leaf, his water level was almost twice of girl 1's! O.o It actually makes me pretty sad that she didn't make it to you, she looks like she was a beauty.

Could you and Stone please tell Lazarus that giants are supposed to be more active, and not sit under their feeding ring, looking pathetic all day? lol He's really low key, and always hungry.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread though. I would love to see your replacement lady when she comes.

As for names, "Delilah" came to mind as soon as I saw girl 2. lol
Linda is a 1st rate transhipper. Putting an almond leaf in shows she really cares. Hung is good usually but must put more water in for giants than this shipment imo. The giants can weigh 4x as much and you pay extra for shipping them so why skimp on the water?

Lazarus sounds like a chill dude who just stalks his ring lol, the appetite on giants is incredible to me. Feeding them the right amount is key. You want to lessen the hunger and help them grow but it can be touchy cuz over feeding giants can cause real problems. Im still working on getting the feed schedule just right. Hmm I like Delilah for a name. Can you post a pic of Lazarus here? I saw a pic of the replacement girl and excited to get her. I will post as soon as she arrives.