Betta Fish Forum banner

Cycling Specifics

Tags
cycle cycling
2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  1077 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've read the article here http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquariums/aquarium-cycle-252/ on cycling a tank, and I understand the concept pretty well, but I'm still a little uncertain as to exactly how to do it.

I have a three gallon tank with a filter that I've been keeping Poseidon in. He's in a quarantine bowl right now getting treated for fin rot (Salt baths and Bettafix). I was told that an uncycled tank can cause fin rot. So I figure it may be a good time to start cycling the tank.

How long does it take? What do I need to buy? What do I do exactly?
Thank you guys so much!

#3 ·
On tanks smaller than ten gallons, I would not attempt to (cycle ) with fish . The water volume is small and toxins will rise too quickly and fish will suffer. Once, maybe twice daily water changes would be needed and feeding of fish would need to be at minimum,perhaps once every other day. This causes no harm to fish who can go a week without food if need be. Feeding more only promotes ammonia and in smaller tanks, Fish succumb quickly.
Perhaps easiest way, is to take one small uncooked raw shrimp and in tank smaller than 10 gal.,, use approx one third of the shrimp. Be sure heater and filter are running and do not disturb ,clean,or replace the filter or water for the next three weeks. Place the piece of raw uncooked shrimp in a piece of nylon such as toe section of pantyhose with a small rock to hold it down.
Leave the shrimp in the tank for the three weeks. The bacteria will begin working as the shrimp decays . The shrimp will no doubt cause tank to smell but at the end of three weeks,you can perform a 60 percent water change and place one or two small fish in the tank on that day and then perform weekly water changes of 25 percent from this point on.
Others use a pinch of fish food every other day as opposed to using shrimp. Does the smae thing but perhaps not as smelly ,or maybe so.
Others use drops of ammonia (raw with no additives or detergents) and dose the tank daily while testing every couple days.
Which ever way you choose,it is important NOT to clean, replace.or otherwise disturb the filter during the process for that is where the majority of bacteria(good kind) will be forming.

If you know someone with a established aquarium, you may be able to talk them into sharing some of their filter material that already has a colony of bacteria(good kind) and place this in your filter and it will speed the process along. If your filter is sponge filter,or too small to allow the borrowed filter material from your friends tank to fit, then placing it in a section of nylon with a rock ,and then placing it near your filter ,or hanging it in front of outflow on your filter will work.
It is VERY, VERY, important that borrowed filter material from friends tank be kept wet in AQUARIUM water And place as quickly as possible into your tank. In this way the bacteria will remain alive . If not kept wet in AQUARIUM water , bacteria (good kind) will die off and be useless for the cycling process.
Once the tank has cycled,, then weekly 25 percent water changes and NOT over feeding will be all that is needed to provide a suitable enviornment for your fish.
Again ,during the (cycling) period,, do NOT disturb the filter material ,or clean it, or replace it. To do so will cause (cycling) to stall and tank will take much longer to mature or (cycle)
If you are fortunate enough to have a friend donate some of their filter material from their tank, then upon placing this material in YOURm tank as described,,will allow you to place your fish in the tank at that time. placing the fish in the tank is called for to help keep the bacteria(good kind) alive. It needs fish waste or fish food to remain active or it will be useless. Hope some of this helps and I believe you will find that once the heated ,(cycled),Filtered tank has matured,,you will have far less issues with sick fish as long as the weekly water changes take place on regular basis and the fish is not overfed. Good Luck.

#8 ·
okay so sort of as a summary: fill tank up, burrow a filter, and let sit for period of time, or am I not really getting this

thanks K stiles

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
You must understand that the cycling is done to develop good bacteria to process waste created by fish. This bacteria once it begins to develop,must have food or it will begin to become useless.
If borrowed material is placed in the tank and has been kept wet during transport in aquarium water (not tapwater) then it will be alive and will need waste from the fish and or fish food to stay alive. To place the material in the tank and leave it for a while with no food (fish food, fish poop) It will begin to die within a day or less depending upon the amount of borrowed material.
Think of the bacteria (good kind)as a squirming mass of miocroscopic creatures that are constantly searching for food. They will starve without that food. That food is in the form of fish waste,and or the ammonia produced by all fish as they breathe and eat and poop. Is also why you should always clean the filter material in aqurium water or dechlorinated water. The chlorine in tapwater will kill a large part of this squirming mass of creatures.

Thank you so much for posting this and thank you so much 1077 for your reply! =] So I'm assuming that you should buy, supply, and cycle your tank before you buy the fish. correct? =] and would a submersible filter and submersible heater be good choices for a 3 gallon or would they take up too much room??
Would always suggest the largest tank I had room and funds for. Ten gallons or five gallons as alternative, would be my choice as well as remaining more stable than smaller tanks.
Also results in happer fish and more room for filter and heater.
We really aren't doing Bettas any favors by keeping them in tanks smaller than five gallons. Read any aquarium book and this can be confirmed.

1077 - I thought you could do a fishless cycle with ammonia drops and an old filter from an established tank. Am I wrong?

You can if you like. However,,If filter material that is borrowed has been kept wet in aquarium water(not tapwater) during transport to your tank from friends tank,then once in the tank, one or two small fish would serve to feed the bacteria on the borrowed material and drops of ammonia wouldn't be needed.

#9 ·
Thank you so much for posting this and thank you so much 1077 for your reply! =] So I'm assuming that you should buy, supply, and cycle your tank before you buy the fish. correct? =] and would a submersible filter and submersible heater be good choices for a 3 gallon or would they take up too much room??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.