Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #1 
AlexXx

White gunk?

Alright well ive had this problem for almost a month now. I have this white fuzzy gunk stuff filling up my filter stopping the water flow out of the filter. I replaced the filter bio bag thing hoping that would stop it. I got 2 otos hoping they would eat it, they just died after a week or so. Ive asked Christina and shes come up blank. There is hardly any filtration i feel like because of this and there has been a build up for tiny white spots on the glass now.. i just sponged them away last Thrusday, im guessing thats from the lack if filtration.... I donno i just really want to get rid of this gunk! I cant find it any where else in the tank, JUSt in the filter. please help!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #2 
AlexXx

Here is a bit more info:
Christina suggest I make a thread you this because she has come up with nothing that could help me. The past month ive been having this oozy white gunk build up in my filter. I have a Tetra Whisper PF10 on my 10g tank. Its been running since sept 3. It has been cycled and it contains 5 female betta, a molly, and 3 shrimp atm. Since i have added some real plants and a moss ball last month there has been this white build up of gunk in the black sponge cartridge in the filter. I kept cleaning it off but then it started building up in the bio-bag type thing. So i replaced it after the filtration got so bad only about 5% of the water was making it though, the other % was just coming out of the other side completely infiltrated. Christina suggested otos' i got 2, they did not help and they died 2 weeks later. :/ The molly liked to suck on everything but she never eats the white stuff because its only around the filter and on the homemade baffle so the current can get a bit to fast for her. Besides on/in the filter there is no white stuff anywhere. How can i get rid of this! I cant afford to get a new filter bio bag every few weeks :( Please help me!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #3 
kelly528

Is it just where the sponge is above the water? I know the very top of my black sponge (on a Whisper PF 5) gets mouldy where it sticks out of the water.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #4 
AlexXx

oh ya it is a bit outa the water. it wont go completly under... but i feel like the whole bio bag is getting kinda moldy or w/e... cuz after i replaced that it went back to a normal flow coming out.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #5 
Calmwaters

I have no idea what it could be but I hope you come up with a solution. Could it be possiable the filter itself that is causeing the problem?
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #6 
kelly528

Leave the lid off the filter so that the top of the filter isn't constantly exposed to moist air. Clean the black foam thoroughly so that there are no remaining mould spores on it.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #7 
AlexXx

Alright Kelly, ill try! :D
Old 11-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #8 
kelly528

Tell me how it goes! I just checked mine the other day and it has a little bit, but nothing crazy... strange!