Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #1 
Willson

Question Please Help Cure Fin Rot

Hello everyone,

I am quite certain now that my Betta has fin rot. All the symptoms fit. I have been doing some reading but am still not quite sure what to do in my circumstance.

I had my Betta in a 3 gallon tank up until today. I think the problem occurred because the tank had no filter,a live plant (which i bought without any research, so i think it was dying, polluting the water) and overfeeding (He used to eat heaps and then spit most of it out, is that normal?). However I was planning to get a new tank and thought I was getting it in a couple of days so I got a little slack. The days turned into two weeks when I finally put him into his new 60 gallon home today. The new tank has a full filtration system and I am picking up a heater tomorrow.

I know I can give him salt baths but i am not sure if that will be enough. Can you please give me some other advice on what I can do from here, or what i should do? Please keep in mind that my tank also has 4 neon tetras and 4 black neons. I'm only saying that because i don't want the medicine to kill them. Please help me.

Also he seemed very active when he first got into his new home but doesn't seem so much now. When he swims he seems to have trouble fighting the filters current, even though i don't think its very strong at all, so should i turn that down a bit? He seems to sit on the tank floor behind this plastic log a fair bit, is that normal? This is my first time keeping a Betta.

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks for taking the time,

Willson
Willson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I would try giving him salt baths first and if that doesn't work than you can start medication. Some bettas have bad reactions to medications, so it's safer to start out with salt first. I would get him a 1G or 2G hospital tank while doing medications so it doesn't harm the other fish. Some 1G's are $10 at walmart.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #3 
Willson

Okay yeah, so if medication is necessary he should just live in the smaller tank for that time? or is it a similar deal to the salt baths?

Thank you
Old 11-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah you should get a smaller tank for the salt baths too. Some people keep them in it for 5 minutes than take them out and put them in their regular tank after. I have a tail bitter that I have in a small tank and I just keep him in there because he just keeps shredding it so I have to keep up with the water changes and salt.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #5 
Willson

Yeah, so it doesn't hurt to have them in the salt a lot? I do have his old 3 gallon tank that I have emptied and rinsed with hot water so I'll use that. If I gave him salt baths would i do it a few times daily or should I just leave him in there for a few days? And does it stress them out heaps to be constantly moved? Sorry for all the questions, i just want to do the right thing.

Thankyou
Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would do the salt baths a few times a day. I agree with getting a smaller hospital tank to treat your betta for illnesses.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #7 
Willson

Okay thanks for the help everyone
Old 11-28-2009, 06:37 AM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

You're welcome :) I hope he gets better fast!