Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #21 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Room lights on a timer? LoL What spoiled fish we have.

I'm surprised your CFL (compact florescent) light can raise your water temperature. Do you have enough ventilation in your hood?

And, yes, there are grades of acrylic from cheap lower density to expensive scratch-resistant stuff. Guess which Petco uses.
FYI, my 2.5g mini BT that I used to have has a slight crack at the bottom circular seam where I think the acrylic mold injection point was. You may want to check for any seams, etc for stress fractures.

I got a timer for $5 at Home Depot, did not get a chance to figure our how to use it.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #22 
Quinn

Ok so, digging up an old thread here... Typed it all put and isn't realize I had to check a box because it's old so I lost it. Anyway long story short my hood light goes off and on by itself, makes me feel not safe after reading stories of it melting and such. I've got plants in there, so I've been trying to run it as much as I can and unplug when I leave. Did those of you who had this issue find a remedy? Is it the bulb or is it that little starter box/tube thingy that's the issue or the actual hood itself? My filter also came leaking through where it connects to the power cord, but I didn't notice until I had already set up my tank and now I don't want to return the whole thing since its set up, and they won't replace the part(probably though I have a request in). I really like the dimensions for the bettas, just unhappy with the extras.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #23 
ao
TFK Moderator

for you guys who are having trouble with the light on the petco tank, try repositioning the starter (little cylindrical insert), it's usually the culprit. When the starter is loose, the light goes out .... mine is on for 12 hours a day with no problems, I thought the light it came with was too dim and changed it out for another.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #24 
Quinn

Thanks for the tip. Could it be that my starter is over heating or something (I don't know how it works, so I don't even know if that's a thing)? Because I made sure my starter was firmly locked into the tightest spot, and it was working (but it had been unplugged for a while before), but then turned off after maybe two hours (longer of times it has stayed on) and I checked and the starter wasn't moved at all, and fiddling with it did nothing. Later, back on. Is the starter something easily replaced, or does this sound like a wiring issue elsewhere?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #25 
ao
TFK Moderator

you probably need a new starter, they're usually fairly cheap.... Ive never changed one, but my housemate does these kind of repairs :)

you can probably get a good tutorial if you google

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #26 
registereduser

Once you get the light working the way you want it to, try turning it on and off by unplugging and plugging it in instead of using the on/off switch. The switches wear out and cause trouble.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #27 
Quinn

Guess I'll be looking for a new starter then! Or maybe just scrap the lighted hood all together and get a clip on or desk lamp that can support a 6500k bulb for my plants. Whatever ends up being easiest! Haha
And yes I've pretty much only been using the plug because it just turns itself off and on, so once I see it's turned itself off I generally unplug it for a while, and plug it back in later. If I leave it plugged in it will turn on on its own without me hitting the switch myself anyway. I think its starting to bother (as of yet unnamed) fishy at this point too.
Thanks for the help!