Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #11 
kalliburr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnewcome View Post
Not a dumb idea at all, that sounds pretty darn smart to me. lol! I don't have a fireplace so that is out. The only source of heat we have it the power does go out in a kerosene heater and I hate using it unless I HAVE to. We don't have a lot of issues with power outages in my town. I'm really close to the substation so when the power goes out I'm on of the first back on but 5 days of cold (like this past winter) will kill everything in my house that doesn't have fur. :( We had a ton of heavy wet snow and it torn down transmission lines, it was a mess!
You know, out here in California, specifically in the Pasadena area, we had a huge wind storm December, 2011, and due to just all the fallen trees and debris, we had a lot of downed power lines. I know the power at my house was out for a week because there was a downed power line in our neighbor's backyard, and they were on vacation with their dogs running around in the backyard. The power company wouldn't go in there unless the dogs were put away, so my dad and I had to chase the damn things down (I love all animals, but these dogs are skittish aggressive beasts that killed a rabbit of mine when I was 14). Four days later the power company finally got it all fixed. Fortunately for me, I only had goldfish at the time, and those little dudes are HARDY.
kalliburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #12 
rickey
Banned

When I ship fish in the winter time I use insulted fish boxes and heat packs. If winter is very cold we suspend shipping. I don't see why it won't work with a home aquarium. I held my fishroom up for 28 days without power after hurricane Fredric but cold wasn't the problem water movement and filtration was.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #13 
Darth

I use what is called a redeye propane heater, make sure to have a little in coming air because this will heat up the room well and you also have to watch for carbon monoxide, the other alternative is a kerosene heater that most folks here in Northern Michigan use as a cabin heater those a relatively safe but you still need to be careful of fumes.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #14 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Heat packs heat packs and more heat packs and towels that is how I managed last winter when we had power outages due to the bad weather of snow and ice. Best place I found to buy them was on ebay since I could buy them in packs of 10 to 25 so for the money I wanted to spend on those I found that the best buy and cheapest way to buy a lot for less.

I just taped them to my 5 gallon tank one on each side and then covered it in towels to keep the heat in. I would peek under the towels every now and then to check the temp from my inside the tank thermometer and was able to keep the heat up where it should be using this method and only lost a couple of degrees here and there though the couple of days I was without power.

kjnewcome I am so glad you started a thread on this issue cause now is the prefect time to make a plan and start getting your supplies ready for the cooler months ahead
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #15 
Chucklesjk

Thank you for starting this thread! I am a new Betta owner and live in an area where winters are bad too. I have been worried about this as well.
Chucklesjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #16 
Chucklesjk

I have another question- I hope you don't mind that ask it on your thread. If the power were to go out, the filter is obviously not running. I would assume to do daily water changes to keep the water clean. Is this correct and if so, what percentage of water do I change?
Chucklesjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #17 
gbose

Be careful not to boil him...
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #18 
kalliburr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
Be careful not to boil him...
That's what the thermometer is for. :P
kalliburr is offline   Reply With Quote