Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #1 
ThePearlFish

Q about dividers, snails.

My dream sometime in the near future is to have a divided tank with a betta in each section, if I decided I wanted to put a snail in there, could the snail climb over the barriers into the other sections? cus what if one betta is okay with the snail and another isn't, then I want both the snail safe and the betta happy.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #2 
doggyhog

If the tank has a hood, it shouldn't be a problem.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I think it would be possible. I think it was Christina that said that hers even escaped out of her tank. So they move around.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Yeah, you should defiantly have a hood if you have a snail!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #5 
ThePearlFish

ya, i'd have a hood anyways to retain heat and provide light for my fish. but those snails love to climb, as I see in the one i have in my community tank, and for the most part wouldn't mind if he decided to visit each betta in their sections occasionally, as long as neither snail nor betta have issues with each other.

~TPF
Old 11-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #6 
ChristinaRoss

ya i have hoods on all of my tanks and he still got out. hes a lil bigger than a golfball and i have NO idea how he got out. there isnt any opening that big. i have a couple snails in my divided 10 gallons, they havent crawled over into another compartment though, i think for the most part because they dont wanna crawl out of the water into the air to get over.

note: some hoods do NOT lat flat on the inside, some are raised up on the inside, so make sure you put some sort of cover (plastic mesh works) so no males can jump into another compartment, id be more worried about that than a snail
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #7 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
ya i have hoods on all of my tanks and he still got out. hes a lil bigger than a golfball and i have NO idea how he got out. there isnt any opening that big
my snail in my community is about the size of a cherry tomato, and he hasn't climbed out of the space in the hood that surrounds my filter, but the water doesn't even reach that high, i didn't even think he could possibly do that. Do snails breathe air? or if they do, how long can they? i dunno if that is why he has never gone above the water line.

Quote:
note: some hoods do NOT lat flat on the inside, some are raised up on the inside, so make sure you put some sort of cover (plastic mesh works) so no males can jump into another compartment, id be more worried about that than a snail
good point. for some reason i didn't think about that either. especially since i might want to add a female, i am not sure yet, I don't want babies either. i don't know how to care for them. plus from reading on here, i heard females can be kinda feisty and I wouldn't want a male to end up having his tail fins kicked and unable to escape back to his side. :(

~TPF
Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #8 
ChristinaRoss

well my snail who escaped i couldnt find for THREE days..........then i finally found him under my couch and i took a cup of tank water and put him in it to see if he was alive and he survived. i couldnt believe it.

yes males and females will fight, but so will 2 males, so cover them up!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote