Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #21 
Lucillia

I'm just getting tired and lazy. XD I'll try some of that. I'll pick up some shrimp too. That's easy enough. Oh! Are cory's any good with a betta?
Lucillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep! Cory's are fantastic because they don't occupy the same levels as each other. It does depend on the Betta, some can live with other's while some just plain can't do it. Ragnarok should be fine though, but have a back-up plan!

Acutally I need to get rid of the 3 Dwarf Cory's I have, you want them? You could get a fourth from Critter Hut to make a nice number, they're active and cute! The only thing is since they have barbel's having rough gravel like what you have there can hurt their barbel's and that can lead to infections. So it's suggest to get either smooth river gravel or have sand for them. The river gravel is nice and natural looking, i can show you some if you want to see.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #23 
Lucillia

I'll definitely consider them! I'm not going to make a decision just yet but definitelyt show them off!!! I'm going to head to bed, I will pester you more tomorrow. :P Per usual! Night!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I meant, I'd show you the gravel lol I don't have any decent pictures of the cory's because they never stop moving!

Only decent picture. They are Corydoras Habrosus and do better in cooler tanks but will survive in higher temps that Betta's like.

And yep, I'm off too! Night!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #25 
Lucillia

So for those Cory's I would want sand? Is there black sand? And any idea on how cloudy the water will get when I siphon? That's the only thing that worries me about sand. Is there a gravel that's smooth enough for them?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Water doesn't get cloudy when you siphon, and I have a good trick of cleaning sand as well. But there are a few different kinds of sands you can get. I have the Black Tahitian Moon Sand from petsmart but PetCo carries nice black sand that's more like mat black and not sparkly which would look very nice. It's actually softer than the Tahitian moon sand as well which is good. Sand isn't completely necessary for Cory's but it is ideal for the most part.

Here are some smooth gravels: http://www.thatpetplace.com/freshwat...ver-jewels-5lb http://www.thatpetplace.com/freshwat...iver-jack-25lb
And this one, look at the Kon Tiki http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=21412

If you want, I can show you how the sand looks in my 33 if you want to come over one day and see how to siphon it out. I'm doing more cleaning and rescaping this Tuesday/Wednesday because I've got shrimp coming in ^_^ so hopefully I can create enough hiding places that they won't all become snacks but if they do that's already too, I didn't spend much on them.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #27 
Lucillia

You will definitely have to show me that trick!!! I thought the water would get all murky and then the sand would have to settle down. When do you have free time this week? Thursday and Friday are the better days for me to come visit! I really want to see your tanks in person too.. Especially since I've only seen them in pictures. :)
Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Either day works fine for me, I work till 2 so anytime after is usually just fine.

I'm getting shipments in of shrimp, plants and actually I got a pair of German Blue Rams for cheap!!! So they'll be coming in Thursday or Friday! But we can both go to my house, can drive down to Sea Horse pet shop with your car and drive back (only a few miles) and then I can show you the tanks and all the neat tricks I know ^_^
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #29 
Lucillia

So! Update! This is the ten now, with Wysteria, and two zebra danios. Unfortunately I lost one because he was being picked on and wasn't allowed to eat. But other wise they both seem healthy and eating normal. Tons of chasing but the fins remain spread out and nothing weird has happened thus far! I'm getting excited and I'm hoping it will be ready for more fish soon and then Ragnarok!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #30 
Lucillia

So another update! I put Ragnarok into the tank with the four danios. Everyone is alive, no one is hurt and its been 2 days now. He does give them a chase when they go near his silk plant that he's claimed but otherwise he doesn't care. I originally got him from a tank with other fish, and I was worried he'd be spoiled all by himself... but nope! So far so good! Just for a laugh here's a picture of him angrily glaring at me from the bag.

Another question though, when I go near the tank he will sit at the bottom and look at me. When I walk away to where he can't see me he will swim and explore.. any ideas on that?

Tags
plants., tank cycle, tank mates