Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #1 
BettaNewbie1

Do all filters have to be baffled for bettas?

We are new betta owners! My boys each picked one male betta as I was told they were the easiest for new fish owners. Initially we got 2 separate 2.5 gallon betta starter kits, but the filters in them did nothing even though they worked. We wanted tanks that had filters to cut down on water changes for me since I am going to be taking care of the tanks for now as they are pretty young still.

So I returned them and got this one:

Top FinŽ 5.5 Gallon Aquarium Starter KIt
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

We got a divider and have it split in half. Of course the filter is on one side, so my one son's fish will have to deal with it.

My question is: how do you know the filter is too strong for your betta and that you need to "baffle" it? Do all filters need to be baffled for bettas?

Thanks!
BettaNewbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

The filter in that kit does need to be baffled. I used to have it. Sponge filters do not need to be baffled for bettas.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

As you fet familiar with your fishes behavior, you'll be able to tell if they are avoiding the filter flow or hiding from it. Baffling the outlet with more filter foam will cut down the current. Putting the filter and heater between two dividers is worth considering.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #4 
BettaNewbie1

It sounds like the easiest way to baffle is to use some sponge near the outflow/over it. Do I need to use a special kind of sponge for that?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I like this method- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139 . I also usually add a sponge pre-filter (a small piece of sponge jammed down the intake tube, which decreases flow among other things). If you are going to use a sponge, make sure it has no chemicals. An aquaclear sponge would work well.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #6 
BettaNewbie1

Thanks for the replies! I posted another thread with pics of how I used a Fluval foam block to slow down the outflow back into the water. Hopefully that helps in the same way!