Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #11 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
Maybe you need a watchdog to keep those raccoons out!
Lot of good that does. They won't run and he does know want to do. Same with the cat, he runs up to the cat barking like the world is comeing to an end and the cat just look at him with that why are making all that noise and please don't disturb my nap again look. So he looses interest and goes away with the your no fun you won't run look on this face. then ten minutes later he tries again. Same thing happens. I'm beginning to think he doesn't have that killer instinct. If he did jump on the cat my money on the cat.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #12 
shannonpwns

Lol oh no! You can borrow my dog, he's a 95 lb pit bull and has been keeping raccoons out of my backyard for years now! I know what you mean though, I brought him on a leash to try and scare the raccoons out of our front yard pond, they didnt even care...just kept on destroying my plants and eating my comets.

But they won't even get over the fence into the backyard anymore. The last one that did, was chased at top speed 1/4 acre across my yard, climbed up a chain link gate and sat there for hours waiting for my dog to leave. But he just stood there, up on the fence barking. It's that pit bull blood in him, he doesn't give up haha.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #13 
rickey
Banned

Something to read

Benthos

1883 Book on Goldfish

Rick
Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #14 
rickey
Banned

Bring Tap Water to Life
Old 10-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #15 
rickey
Banned

Why do people feel the need to pour stuff into their aquariums water handle real or imagined problems the have with that fish. The solution is most likely not in a bottle people especially when you have no idea what you pouring in to the tank in the first place. Use this and "Never change water again" this stuff "cure anything from Ich to cancer" and etc. etc. and you have no idea what's in it. Stop believing what the manufacturer are telling you in their sells pitch an do some real research, they're trying to sell you something. If you have more that 2 boxes or bottles of product that you routinely add to your aquarium you ain't doing something right. Sometime ya'll are adding 2 products that do the same thing. If you go to Tetra's Aquarium Water Care first page the are 24 water additives on that page, 24 product that would bet money that most of the average fish keepers could n't tell me what is in one of them. "A better life though science" applies to aquariums but that science is not in those $10.00 bottles, get a basic understanding of water chemistry, do your maintenance tank, do your research on you livestock before you buy, and stop it with all the chemicals. I guarantee you won't see all the unhealthy fish that I read about day after day here at this forum.

R
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #17 
rickey
Banned

Winter Catalog

Winter catalog goes out tomorrow. There are only 56 AAA goldfish this go round I hope the sell so i don't have to carry them till spring

R
Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If I was a goldfish person I would definitely take some of the less perfect ones. Your fish always look great, even though I don't usually appreciate goldfish as much as bettas.

People now think they can find the solution to everything in a pill or a bottle, and that goes for more areas then just fishkeeping. IMO water conditioner is the only chemical you should be adding to your water regularly- and if I could, I wouldn't even be using that. You are definitely right that if people would focus more on their water chemistry and food and other basic needs and less on making sure they have every chemical on the shelves fish would live a lot happier lives.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #19 
rickey
Banned

Thanks Matt, I'll turn into Goldie person before it all said and done.

Rick
Old 10-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #20 
rickey
Banned

In the Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies forum there has been a rash of case of suspected SBD and constipation threads which start me to thinking does it have something do with time of year or other factors. So I look back through my records on the goldfish going back 5 year and 10 months. Out of 2357 goldfish that moved through the breeding houses there were 27 case of SBD(1.15%), 13 sinker and 14 floater. A large majority of these cases were in the winter of 2010 when we had a unusually cold snap (17 days below freezing), there were 9 (.38% )sinker case and 5 (.21%) floater case in this period(average water temp 39*F). At that time I was holding 502 goldfish including 463 in breeder stock and 39 AAA that had on sold. All in all I was lucky most of the tropical fish being held in ponds that winter were wipeout. Why so many SBD case and no out right deaths in the goldfish, besides the fact that Fancy Goldfish come from cold water homologous ancestors, no idea

R