Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #51 
spreadtoothinly

Talking Update Time!!

This is going to be a HUGE update, so get comfortable.

PART ONE
THE PLANTS CAME!!! They DID come on Friday. here are pictures of packaging, and the plants!
So nice of them to put PERISHABLE on the packaging! (the bag was in the box)

This was inside the bag

This was inside the paper

The plants were wrapped in paper in the bag, but I didn't get a pic of that
This is the java fen, it doesn't look too happy, I hope it'll bounce back!

This is the water sprite, I wish it didn't have the dirt in the roots, but what can you do, right?

This is the Brazilian Pennwort, I wish I ordered more of this!!

This is the Pygmy chain sword (advertized as narrow leaf chain sword... which I believe is the same thing) This is HUGE compared to what I thought it would be! AND there are a LOT of plants in one "bunch" it's 10 plants!! and they are HUGE!!

And here is a full tank shot of the tank right after planting... There's java moss all over the sand, lol.

PART TWO

I PRESENT TO YOU EDMOND!!!

^This was taken right after he was introduiced into the tank, he was crawling around IMMEDIATELY after I put him in! I've heard tell that they don't come out for a couple days, but he was crawling around on the way home, in a MOVING CAR!! I'm just amazed at this guy! He was the only one moving in the whole tank at the store, so I got him cause you can't be crawling up a wall and be dead. We (my sister actually) named him Edmond after Edmond Hillery, the mountaineer.
Here (below) is him right after I put him in his bag, into the tank, to equalize the temp (I hadn't started acclimating him yet.) Sorry about the crappy picture.

And here is a video of him eating off the glass. (Or at least that's what I think he's doing...)
Edward the Blue Mystery Snail Eating - YouTube
HOW DO YOU IMBED THIS?
spreadtoothinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #52 
Chesh

Heeheee, Edmund is adorable, I love apple snails. . . :)

You're only supposed to have to paste the link for it to imbed, but sometimes it just doesn't work. Either way, I found the video, and I <3 Edmund! ^.^

The plants look super healthy, and they were packaged REALLY well, lol. Gotta love that! I think you're right - both are common names for Echinodorus tenellus. I know they can get taller depending on the environment they're grown in. I want to say 6"? I could be remembering wrong, though, and common names can be so confusing. >.< Whatever they are, they're beautiful, and the tank looks GREAT! I hope they thrive for you!

It's wonderful to see a tank grown with such patience from the start. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted. Can't wait to see what happens next!

ETA: Your stock list looks great, but I'm wondering about Cherry Barbs in this setup. I don't know much about them, to be honest. . . for some reason I'm wondering how well they'll fit in with the others? Tetra, Rams, and Cories (to me) feels like perfection! Do you know your water hardness, by any chance? Kh and Gh?

Last edited by Chesh; 08-18-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #53 
Mar

Love the tank, can't wait for it to grow in!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #54 
spreadtoothinly

Quote:
Heeheee, Edmund is adorable, I love apple snails. . . :)

You're only supposed to have to paste the link for it to imbed, but sometimes it just doesn't work. Either way, I found the video, and I <3 Edmund! ^.^

The plants look super healthy, and they were packaged REALLY well, lol. Gotta love that! I think you're right - both are common names for Echinodorus tenellus. I know they can get taller depending on the environment they're grown in. I want to say 6"? I could be remembering wrong, though, and common names can be so confusing. >.< Whatever they are, they're beautiful, and the tank looks GREAT! I hope they thrive for you!

It's wonderful to see a tank grown with such patience from the start. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted. Can't wait to see what happens next!

ETA: Your stock list looks great, but I'm wondering about Cherry Barbs in this setup. I don't know much about them, to be honest. . . for some reason I'm wondering how well they'll fit in with the others? Tetra, Rams, and Cories (to me) feels like perfection! Do you know your water hardness, by any chance? Kh and Gh?
Hehe, me too! I think his antennae have grown out since I got him, but it could just be he's further out of his shell...
I've read that they get 3-5 in. and now they are approx. 6 in. so idk... Thank you!
The Gh is around 7, 150 ppm. and I honestly hove no clue about Kh.
Quote:
Love the tank, can't wait for it to grow in!
Thanks!

Ok, I have a question. I'm having to do water changes daily, so should I dose Flourish every time I do a water change? Or every time the whole water volume is changed? What?

ETA: I just realized I put this in the Betta section... oops. Should I just leave it, or should I re post it is the freshwater journals?

Last edited by spreadtoothinly; 08-19-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #55 
spreadtoothinly

I've been testing the water daily, and it's stayed almost the same since I got the plants... But today the nitrItes are going down so today the readings were:
Ammonia: STILL between 0 and 0.25 ppm, why is it staying here for SO LONG??
NitrIte: around 2 ppm, gone down from 5 ppm yesterday
NitrAte: around 5 ppm
So why am I still getting an ammonia reading?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #56 
spreadtoothinly

Today
pH: +7.6
High Range pH: between 8 and 8.2 (tested near the end of the "night" at 8:54, the "sun" rises at 11:30)
Ammonia: still in the same range, but more yellow than in the past
NitrIte: 0.25 (So exited about this!)
NitrAte: between 0 and 5 ppm
Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #57 
spreadtoothinly

I got some more pictures of Edmond today. (well actually yesterday)
I am convinced that his antennae grew...
Before:

After:

This was funny :P

I'm planning to get the first group of Cherry Barbs some time this week!!

ETA: WOW, his crack is WAY further up on his shell, I guess he's growing all over!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #58 
Huffle Puffles

That's a really awesome pic of Edmond on thermometer! Very cool capture!
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #59 
Chesh

Edmond is a cutie pie! ^.^ Apple/Mystery snails DO grow quickly! Glad to see him doing so well!

Looks like your cycle is coming along! These things take patience, especially since you have such a low bioload. Remember that it can take well over a month for this first part of the nitrogen cycle to establish! Have you checked your tap water for presence of ammonia? It happens sometimes. . . also, if you don't already, wash out those test tubes with soap and water, and rinse them very well. I've had tests come up wrong because of chemical residue from past tests. Probably, your test is correct, but it can't hurt to cover all the bases!

Word of caution - keep a close eye on those nitrAtes (not that you aren't already!) Usually when we get to the nitrate spike, we start to relax as the evil ammonia and nitrites are fading into oblivion, but in my experience Apple snails are REALLY sensitive to rapid nitrate flux like you can get while cycling/stocking. I'm sure he'll be fine - just wanted to give you a head's up!

Looking good! Keep up the great work!

Last edited by Chesh; 08-26-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: SPELLING FAIL!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #60 
spreadtoothinly

Quote:
That's a really awesome pic of Edmond on thermometer! Very cool capture!
Thanks!
Quote:
Looks like your cycle is coming along! These things take patience, especially since you have such a low bioload. Remember that it can take well over a month for this first part of the nitrogen cycle to establish! Have you checked your tap water for presence of ammonia? It happens sometimes. . . also, if you don't already, wash out those test tubes with soap and water, and rinse them very well. I've had tests come up wrong because of chemical residue from past tests. Probably, your test is correct, but it can't hurt to cover all the bases!
My Cycle was really weird, I now have somewhere around 0.1 ammonia (This is from the tap), 0 NitrIte, and around 2 nitrAtes. (spiked around 5ppm). I didn't think to wash it with soap, it just says to rinse it out, I'll try some soap next time.

Part 2; FISH
Ok, so on Saturday I went and got three Cherry Barbs!

^ I used flash on this one, they are so hard to take pictures of!!!

I haven't thought of a name for the group yet... so suggestions are welcome! I'd like to name the group, cause I will NOT be able to tell them apart for long...
I also have a video, but it's still uploading... (says it's gonna take 45 mins... grr)