Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #71 
Ilikebutterflies

Gold dragon. Bring out more of that bi-color and give more dragon scaling. I think the bi-color and partial butterfly banding is worth pursuing. A dragon scale mustard gas would be really cool.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #72 
Deanna01

Yeah, it does seem like he'd be interesting, doesn't it? Maybe I will bid on him....
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #73 
drake

hi guys.need some help here.
my betta already spawning.i watching them for few hours,after that i left them for about 8 hours.
during spawning female do drop the egss,but the male pick it up,but didt blow it up inside the bubble.
so,maybe not fertilized.but after that i left them.
now the female already at the corner of the breeding tank.spawning process probably finish.
but the male seems freely swimming now where.i check the nest,cant see any eggs.why the male eat all the eggs?
drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #74 
Myates

If the male is swimming around away from the nest then most likely there are no eggs in there. Once breeding is done the female will do as she is doing for you, and the male will stay under the nest and guard it as well as rearrange the eggs up into the nest more. But if he is away from the nest for more than a few seconds most likely they ate them all.

They may not of wrapped correctly, which is common, especially for virgins and he ate the eggs, or he may be an egg eater. Recondition them and try once more - it should be a bit easier the next go around for them as they should know more of what to do. Females will have eggs ready usually three days after spawning - so would condition for 3-5 days (5 days to be sure) and try again with them.

We can only speculate why they eat their eggs.. yours may not of been fertilized or he may just of liked to eat them. I had a male that spawned for about 5 hours with the female only to eat the eggs the next day out of the blue. Things happen unfortunately.. hopefully next time yours won't eat the eggs! Need to tell him she isn't a gumball machine ;)

Last edited by Myates; 08-19-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #75 
drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
If the male is swimming around away from the nest then most likely there are no eggs in there. Once breeding is done the female will do as she is doing for you, and the male will stay under the nest and guard it as well as rearrange the eggs up into the nest more. But if he is away from the nest for more than a few seconds most likely they ate them all.

They may not of wrapped correctly, which is common, especially for virgins and he ate the eggs, or he may be an egg eater. Recondition them and try once more - it should be a bit easier the next go around for them as they should know more of what to do. Females will have eggs ready usually three days after spawning - so would condition for 3-5 days (5 days to be sure) and try again with them.

We can only speculate why they eat their eggs.. yours may not of been fertilized or he may just of liked to eat them. I had a male that spawned for about 5 hours with the female only to eat the eggs the next day out of the blue. Things happen unfortunately.. hopefully next time yours won't eat the eggs! Need to tell him she isn't a gumball machine ;)
hi.
thanks for the answer and good tips.yes,there is no egg at all.i already separate them.i will try again.both betta virgin,no experienced :)
thank you again.will update soon
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #76 
Asira

What if I bred these:

Alice, a HM bred by Frantisek Baier (Czech). I'm not sure what her color would be called. (High quality line carrier)

Daryl, a blue butterfly HM bred by Salvatore Unali (Germany). He's the brother of the winner of the Holland Betta Show, and carries a very high quality line.

Asira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #77 
drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post

i try to breed them today.success! the female even help the male pick up the egg,blow it to the nest.im surprise the female got many eggs.i follow your advice,after 5 days.seems their got very well experienced :)
this time i put indian almond leave and banana leave,the nest was huge.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #78 
Ilikebutterflies

@Asira
You should get pastel butterflies. Watch out for that redwash the female has(she is called platinum but she has red wash). It would be a shame to put that into a blue butterfly line like the male. If you want a platinum girl find one with either no color wash or yellow wash(cheaper).
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #79 
Deanna01

Hi, all. I am about to cross two pineapple HMs. What colors might I expect out of the cross?
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #80 
Myates

Congrats Drake!! I wish you luck! Now the hard part begins :) But you can do it!

Asira, red and blues are dominant so you'll get some blues with red wash, variations of white marbled fins.. *maybe* pastels, but those aren't too easy to come by. Careful breeding the male as he is a rosetail, which is a deformity that can lead to a lot of scale/fin/body deformities in the fry.. breed him the once then I would retire him.. most breeders won't breed them, but I won't tell you not to - just be aware you may end up having to cull a fair amount of the babies.

Is your female an HMPK? She short of looks like it.. has the classic shape, but could be wrong.

Deanna - it will depend on their genetics and what was used to get the yellow. You will get some similar to the parents, some with a more muted yellow.. and depending on how the yellow was created you can end up with some forms of red, cambodians, chocolate.. possibly even an orange or two. You won't really know what is in the genetics until F2, F1 will be a tossup and most likely more looking like t he parents and some a bit more muted in color.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote