Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

OMG, I want that store, can I come with you??? lol That's totally awesome!!!

It's always easier to do a planted tank when your plants actually come in healthy XD lol of course I started with PetCo/PetSmart plants but I won't be buying those again compared to my LFS's plants now! So that's awesome and I'm super excited for you! lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #22 
JamieL

Ok, I went. They started at 2.99, some of the bigger ones were a little more expensive. They had them all either potted or floating in the fish tanks. I got one anubias, one anacharis and a third that I don't even remember, ha ha...hornwort maybe? It looks a little like the anacharis. I wish I bought more, I may go back. I only spent $11, then I got a piece of driftwood for another $5.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #23 
JamieL

Good to go. Mixed it in with the silk plants I had already. Sorry I forgot to bring you with me! Next time! ;)
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hard to tell but it looks like Cabomda, might be Hornwort though. Lookin good!! And driftwood for 5?!?!? Seriously wtf! Our lowest ones start at 8.99 >.> lol I'm totally going with you next time XD haha
Old 08-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #25 
JamieL

Oh, maybe it is cabomba! Now that you say that it sounds right, I just couldn't remember what she said at the store. Some duckweed hitched a ride, too, I'm going to leave that and see what it does.

As my fishless cycling tank is still doing very little. Hmmph.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Usually Cabomda you plant so you might want to do that, Anacharis is fine floating but my Cabomda never did well if left to float is all.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #27 
FirstBetta

Smile Fishless cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
From the last time I dosed it and went down to 4ppm it still hasn't budged! I still have barely detectable nitrites, they haven't gone up at all. 0-.25ppm. Not .25, but definitely reading higher than my tap water. Yesterday I got my hands on some gravel from an established tank and I put it in a stocking and put it in my filter, I'll test it again in a little while. If that doesn't move anything, maybe I should do a water change??
What is the difference between 0-.25 and .25?

The only thing I think you have done wrong is being impatient, if that. Slow down and watch the process.

There is a maxim in fishkeeping = Nothing that happens fast in fishkeeping is good. I had similar fishless cycling because like you I got frustrated pushing for something to happen. Follow the procedure and it will.

Don't jump from one procedure to another and expect something good to occur.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #28 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Usually Cabomda you plant so you might want to do that, Anacharis is fine floating but my Cabomda never did well if left to float is all.
Yes, I read that when I googled about it. I didn't know because it was floating in the tank at the store, but I'll shuffle some things around tomorrow. I'm not exactly sure what to do with the anubias either, the roots are ok in the sand as long as the rhizome isn't buried?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #29 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBetta View Post
What is the difference between 0-.25 and .25?

The only thing I think you have done wrong is being impatient, if that. Slow down and watch the process.

There is a maxim in fishkeeping = Nothing that happens fast in fishkeeping is good. I had similar fishless cycling because like you I got frustrated pushing for something to happen. Follow the procedure and it will.

Don't jump from one procedure to another and expect something good to occur.
What I meant by that was not reading .25 but still reading slightly darker than 0. I know this can be a long process, but everything I've read talks about testing and dosing as needed, but in 20 days the only change I've gotten in the ammonia was when I did a small water change. I thought at some point the ammonia would eventually start to go down at least a little. It's frustrating to test every day and see exactly the same readings day after day for weeks. I was hoping to fishless cycle this tank and seed the other two tanks from this one. But the two tanks with fish in them are blowing past this one, and they get a pwc every two days because I'm paranoid about my crappy chloramine tap water affecting them! The one fish-in tank has only been set up only about as long as this is fishless cycling and already has 0 ammonia, low nitrites and trace nitrates.

I'm trying to be patient, but it just seems like nothing EVER changes.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes the roots will be fine as long as the rhizome is not buried. I actually have one of my anubias's roots in the sand in Ditto's 3 gallon if you saw that tank on that thread. Not sure if you can see it or not but ones in the sand and the other is in the hole of the driftwood