Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Question Can I add my fish to my sorority tank?

I was hoping to make the upcoming week the week I put my fish in my tank as I am on a break from school and I will have the time to observe them most of the day all day. However, I am not sure I will have enough cover for them. I do have silks in with the live plants as you will clearly see to cover my filter and my heater. My plants are doing ok I think they will do even better once I add some root tabs and my fish are providing fertilizer.

I have had 3 species of snails in tank for 3 weeks now. I have up to 20 fish to add to a 29 gallon tank most are not related (but some are from the same spawns but have been in separate containers ) and the fish are all sizes. I am considering cutting back a little and doing a second 10 gallon. I have some small driftwood to add it's still leaching brown water. I also have a couple of pieces of decor that I will add once I take some precautions to make it safer. This involves some coating with silcone and soaking for a a few days. I also plan to to add more craft mesh tubes. I have plastic plants in all of my gallon containers with the girls in them that I could use for more cover. Suggestions and feedback vastly appreciated.

Here are some pics:

jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The plants are great but I think you could use some more hides

So you have the girls and they've been in QT yes? If so, you could add them in, you have enough plants there you could get some terracotta pots for cheap hides and still looks fairly natural
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

Except for 5 fish which may get their own tank anyway all have been quarantined for over 2 months. I thought about pots at least until I get other decor ready. Do they require any prep before adding to the tank?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

I have been rotating the fish in a circle on a table so they'e see each other. Do I still need to float them in cups for a period of time before releasing them? I don't mean for aclimating I mean to get them used to seeing each other in the tank?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I would float them anyway just because I can, I'd rather do all I can to prepare them, you know? And of course to acclimate them as well is always good!

And with pots, if you don't want to break them and you just want to put them in whole then just rinse dust off of them under as top of tap water as you can get. Basically boiling it for a minute or so, but it's not completely necessary. Just get the dust off and I like to let mine sit under the hot tap so that it get's completely soaked, then let cool off and into the tank it goes! Be careful with the holes on the bottom though if you get the bigger ones, you'll need to cork them up somehow. I use silicone and that has to dry at least 24 hours before going into the tank.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #6 
peachii

Looks like you are ready for your girls. I used the terra cotta pots in the beginning but I only ever had 1 or 2 girls that used them. Out of 7 little tiny pots I put in, one girl used 1 or 2 pots so I eventually pulled them all out. Unless I decide to use them to grow moss out on I won't be putting them back into the tank.

Just keep an eye on them and check your water parameters every 2 days or so for the first few weeks. Putting all the fish into the tank may cause you to have a mini cycle but it goes away quick, the increased bioload may or may not give you a mini cycle, Doubtful since you have had snails in there and so many plants.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

My sorority has about seven girls in it, and I've got four or five (they are stuck into the plants, so some are lower than others) floating plastic tumblers in there for them to hide in. They LOVE them. One or two will stake out a cup and they'll sleep/hang out in there since they're at the surface.

They don't look very natural...but the girls love them. If you get them in colors that match your plants or silk plants, they're not all that intrusive. You could probably find some in shades of green, and then they wouldn't be horribly unnatural looking with all your beautiful live plants. :)
Right now my sorority is only silk, but hopefully it'll be natural planted when I get around to it. :)

Oh, and the plants in this one are terrible...I wanted to know what big fluffy flowers would look like...and the answer is not good. At all. ;)
But, it's providing them with plenty of cover for the moment...until I can get them decorated with something much more appealing. ;)

Here are some pictures of the cups:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=b1a4d1d662

Oh, and I floated them in cups for a day before releasing them. Even though they'd seen each other for 2 weeks prior in their little holding "cells", there was still a small amount of chasing, nipping, and slashing until they chose a leader and got oriented to one another. Now they're pretty content to hang out *together* in big groups...so apparently they got over it. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

It just so happens I have whole bunch of small plastic tumblers I got from walmart to use to hold fish while I was cleaning tanks I was going to retire them but they will come in handy until I can make enough craft mesh tunnels and other hides. Thanks for that idea! I am looking forward to releasing them. I am taking video and I will post so I can get pointers if needed.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sounds good jada!!!