Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #1 
Fishyfishy852

Betta keeps getting bloated

Okay so this is my second betta the first got a bad case of ick and after a month he passed. I learned my lesson and now I know what not to do and I've had sky 2.0 for almost 5 months. I went on a vacation for two weeks and my family forgot to clean his tank he was bad at first but I got him back to normal thing is now he gets bloated consistantly. After the first time I gave him the peas and didn't feed him for a couple days it went down and as soon as I feed him again he bloated. I tried the peas two more times after he bloated but he still bloats as soon as I feed him.
I've cut down to only feeding him once every two days. I feed him one and sometimes 2 pre soaked freeze dried bloodworms (he doesn't like the pellets). I do weekly changes he is still very active and looks healthy.
Fishyfishy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #2 
TiffanyP

Bloodworms should only be used as a treat - they don't get all the nutrients they need from them. What kind of pellets have you tried with him? My 2 older boys are picky eaters - had to try 4 different kinds of food for my first baby before I found one he'd eat, and then the one that he will eat my older betta won't touch haha I'd try around and experiment with different pellets. Omega One pellets and New Life Spectrum are the two most recommended brands here. See if he'll eat one of those (if you haven't already tried them) :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What other signs/symptoms is he having other than the enlarged abdomen....

You don't want to confuse a normal full tummy with true bloat and treat needlessly.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 
Fishyfishy852

I have omega one pellets. Thats the only one i've tried. He also hasn't pooped yet as far as i've seen and it looks like theres white stuff oozing out
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #5 
Noctredors

Don't feed him bloodworms as regular food, feed them as a treat. Always feed him pellets. If the pellets are responsible for the bloat, then switch pellets.

My betta got bloat 3 times, after i switched to another pellet brand it stopped. But if he is bloated because of the bloodworms, then stop feeding them to him. They should only be used as a treat. White poop could possibly mean he has parasites.
Noctredors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #6 
blufish425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfishy852 View Post
I have omega one pellets. Thats the only one i've tried. He also hasn't pooped yet as far as i've seen and it looks like theres white stuff oozing out
Keep an eye on him, white poop typically means internal parasites. Internal parasites can also cause bloating.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #7 
Fishyfishy852

Thanks everyone I'll stop giving him the blood worms. I never thought about internal parasites but now that I know I'll get the medicine. I just hope I caught it in time.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

White poop doesn't always mean internal parasites-white poop can be due to diet change and stress too.

Generally all fish will have internal parasite to some degree that they take care of themselves. They drop and pick up these parasites on a regular bases-rarely are they symptomatic unless the immune response has been compromised.

Usually you will see other S/S along with bloat-mainly buoyancy problems, lethargic, hiding, clamp fins and refusal to eat-sometimes the lack of poop, however, this isn't a good indicator since some will eat and/or destroy the fecal matter.

Over treating and/or treating for the wrong reason can sometimes do more harm than good IME. Over use of chemical can have a negative impact on not just the fish immune response that affect its ability to take care of itself-It can also have a negative impact on the fish environment creating chaos within the ecosystem-thus allowing bad bacteria, parasites..etc...to take a good hold and things can snow ball from that point.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote