Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #1 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Talking Cute Betta Behaviors!

Hai everyone :3
I just recently got my very first Betta 2 days ago and I am absolutely in love!
From the moment I first picked up his little cup in Walmart he would stare at me and flare all about. I took him back to my dorm room with my best friend (who also got her first betta) and have him in his colorful 1.5 gal tank.

Though he is suffering from a mild case of fin rot and a possible bacterial infection he has so much crazy energy! He flares and darts around and just can't stay still! I named him Sushi btw. c: Anyways I started to notice some little odd behaviors right away and just wanted to see if you guys can relate. xD

First off, even though Sushi is a little ill and also since I believe my tank is cycling he seems like he isn't even sick.

When I give him his pellets he just grabs them then spits them out over and over, I know that is normal but I just imagine him playing soccer or something when he does that.

He also responds to me making kissy noises and when I stick my hand or my little stick into the tank to fix something etc, he just floats around me like he is already so comfortable. When I stick the thermometer in as well he floats up to it and is just so chill about it. He also kissed my finger. <3

The newest little behavior my little Sushi makes is inspecting the gravel. I know that he has not ate much but suddenly today he is a little piggy and just swimming along the gravel looking for something. He even tries to push them a little or bites at them. So I put the small stick in the move around the gravel because I'm sure some food is in there and he will literally float right next to the stick and just wait for something to come up.

I always have to kick up the food pellets after they go soft because they sink and it is just so cute because he sits and waits by the stick.

Also he likes to kind of curl up around the rocks and lay on them for a second. I know he has no parasite causing him to itch but it's almost like he wants to hug the rocks. xD
KawaiiRainbowMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #2 
georga3261

I love how Bettas have so much personality! Yours sounds especially awesome and entertaining!
georga3261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #3 
godtiermagikarp

Aww, I wish my betta kissed my finger. That sounds adorable. Anyway it's pretty sweet how he goes to hide under his rock when anyone comes in my room, but for me he's totally chill and will swim over to stare at me from his tank. Also I love the way his pectoral fins flap around like crazy all the time. I also got him to follow my fingers around the tank when I'm holding a food pellet! He gobbles up those pellets like a vacuum.
godtiermagikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #4 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Sushi just plays with his food and I have to keep stirring it up with a stick until he eats it. xD I guess he still doesn't completely understand that I am feeding him. :P
He almost did a front flip because he was so focused on a piece of gravel xD After that he basically rolled over!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 
Seki

My betta Hiei seems to think I'm a threat to his territory. If I so much as look at him, he flares, which is adorable. ^_^

Then there's Zero, who ends up in the absolute STRANGEST positions in his tank. I looked in there and saw him vertical this morning... tail up, head down, completely vertical. I figured out what happened when I saw it happen again a few minutes later. He'll rest on a leaf of his plant and when the plant's leaf bends, he just slides right down and the lazy butt won't get himself up for a minute hahaha. Very cute.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #6 
godtiermagikarp

Betta fish are just super adorable aren't they. I remember the first time I fed Winchester in his new tank I could hear him make little crunchy sounds as he munched on the food.
godtiermagikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #7 
blufish425

My girl Audrey is a bundle of sass and entertainment. She will dash around, and then stop on a dime, look around, check things out, and then dash around, and stop on a dime again. She is not exactly the most graceful swimmer :P And then I have Sebastian who swims in elegant graceful loops all day long. They are all so much fun to watch :)
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #8 
fleetfish

So my new VT guy hates pellets. He hates them so much that he will flare at every single one before he eats it. Every single pellet gets the flare of doom and destruction before being consumed by the all hating fish of woe and darnnation. When he is finished with his consuming of pellets, he will lurk deep in his little flowerpot, and brood ... until more pellets fall to their doom. DOOM!!!

Meanwhile, the girls are just so happy to see me. The do little dances and eat my fingers :)

Last edited by fleetfish; 08-20-2013 at 08:39 AM.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #9 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Awwww xD Sushi just flips about and I don't think he ever sleeps. I changed his water today and moved the rocks I've collected around. I can't afford to get him a plant or anything yet. :c so I madea littld cubby hole under a bif flat rock and he went down and curled up in the hole dor a second or two. XD I think he likes it!

Tags
behavior, betta, cute