Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Considering a sorority!

How many ladies in a 10? 4 maybe? I don't want to overstock. I know I have to have hidey holes and plenty of foliage. And I should get them all at once. I'm going to cycle the tank first using media from Tango's home so they're not stressed. So, aside from all that, anything else I need to know/do? Behavior I should look for or avoid? I know males pretty well but I don't really know anything about the ladies.

I bought Tango based on his health, curiousity and activity level rather then his color and all and he's been healthy and happy all this time. I think I should go the same route with the girls? (Yeah right! :P)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Yay! Sororitys are lots of fun, and seems like you have the basics down xD You've read the little thread that DQ wrote about them, right?

I'd say 4-5 would be a good number for a 10 Lets see.....as for behavior, its REALLY difficult to judge character in those little cups, or even if the girls you get are in a Sorority already.....when I got Mira she was at the bottom of the chain and beat to a pulp, however now shes top dog and the most social. You won't know who will work and who won't until you get it going from my experience.

When I look for a new girly, I look for health and color that strikes my fancy mostly.....activity level I find doesn't tell me much when they're in those little cups, none of them are ever really active....its not until I bring them home and get them into someplace warm that I see their true nature. But I do look for the basics, are here fins damaged? Is she swimming properly when I tap the cup to get her attention? Is there anything out of place on her body or fins? You know, things like that xD

Best of luck with your Sorority!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

i agree w dragonfish
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Sounds like you've got it all! Good advice there, Dragon fish!

Just a tip with Girls. The girls will swim and try and squeeze through ANYTHING they can fit through! Sometimes they are bad a judging and get themselves stuck. Example: I had a plant in a bare bottom tank that had a small hole in the base, I went in my room to check on my fishies, and my girlie was STUCK in the plant base. I got her out in time, she was fine except for a few scratches. So, be careful with your decorations. Those girls are DARE DEVILS!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #5 
vaygirl

Okay thanks guys! I think I'll stick with live plants. The water wisteria I have can probably be divided two more times and maybe I'll pick up something else. And that will help me cycle the tank while I wait. I'll stick to small gravel then and nothing with small holes. Daredevils... I have a daredevil Basset now so at least I have SOME idea of the lunacy awaiting me.

I'll read DQ's sticky. I'm a terrible sticky misser. :P

I knew if I hung around here long enough my fish stock would climb! I'm also thinking of a five gallon and a new male... for my husband... ya know? :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #6 
doggyhog

You should totally get another male!! :D Err... your husband should get one. :P
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #7 
ChristinaRoss

lol doggyhogg good luck!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote