Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #1 
tiffanyswisher

80- 100% water changes

I just got my first Betta 10 days ago and he's doing great! He's in a non-filtered 1.5 gallon glass bowl. It has round stones on the bottom, a play structure, and a Betta leaf to lounge on. I've been doing about 80% water changes every other day, treating the water with conditioner/dechlorinator, rinsing out the stones, etc. I've since learned I probably shouldn't be doing that BUT he really seems to enjoy the fresh water, and is doing fantastic. If I keep doing this will it eventually harm him?

Pls. don't recommend I put him in a tank, because I will do that pretty soon. I'm learning more and more about Bettas every day. Thanks in advance for any input..............
tiffanyswisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

You might be changing the water a bit too much (maybe scale back to two 50% and one 100% per week), but you are otherwise doing everything right. What do you think you shouldn't be doing? Rising the stone in such a small tank is what you should be doing, as a tank that small will not be able to hold a cycle except under very specific conditions.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #3 
tiffanyswisher

I was told it will stress them out too badly, and that could lead to sickness and stunting. Believe it or not, I actually named him Jack, after Jack in Titanic because sooner or later he will die and float to the bottom. Super morbid, but it comes from fear I'll accidentally kill him.....fingers crossed!
tiffanyswisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #4 
gbose

Tiffswish,

You're doing fine. Don't over-think this. Do keep up water changes -- whether 50 or 80%.. don't rinse the stones -- they may hold some beneficial bacteria. When you choose your tank, go for a 2.5G or -- still better - - a 5G.

Good luck!
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

Sometimes you can't help if they die. Even the most experienced keepers on this forum will lose fish for unknown reasons. However, I still think you are doing good. Yes, the changes can be stressful, but they are not always. It depends on how you do them. And they are individuals, what effects one fish might do nothing to another.

I still say to wash the pebbles though, the tank is too small to have any good bacteria, and changing the water probably kills what little there is, leaving stuff that will just decay.

When looking to upgrade, if you have the room, 10 gallons are about as cheap as you can get ($10-$15). You would either have to get a lid, or make one, or you would have to keep the water level lower to prevent your fish from jumping out.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #6 
sunlight

I think you doing good. For 1.5 gall tank you can do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. OR you can do what i do just one 100% water change every about 4 days.
I do rinse the gravel though. I don't rinse every stone separate just take handful and rinse it.
If you going to acclimate your betta slowly to the new water you not going to stress him . I saw someone keep giving a very helpful link for the new owners let me try to find it. I am going to put it for you , read every post , it a lot of hints there . And also i will put acclimation instructions for you .
I have a few of my bettas that are almost 3 and 4 years old. My other bettas are younger than that. But i been doing those water changes and they are fine. Just acclimate him.
And during the cold weather make sure he is warm.
Also about betta get sick. I bought 2 bettas at the same time about 4 years ago. One of them i still have and another one died 2 years ago. I did exactly the same care for each of them. So they are just like a human being, the life expectancy depends on many factors , just like a human being. But he will appreciate your love:)
Also try to feed varieties of food. I started just recently to feed them with frozen blood worms that are enriched in protein. I really recommend you to do it. I do it once a week. Not sure how many times a week you can do it but i think 2 times a week is good. Just be careful do not overfeed. The betta stomach is the size of their eye . If you overfeed it will lead to the swim bladder problem.
Let me try to find that link....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=142066

Last edited by sunlight; 08-20-2013 at 10:20 PM.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

+1
and acclimation instructions
1. can have betta in the changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding small amount of the new water about every 5 min for about 5-6 times -this way you he will get used to the temperature:)

2. Note the temperature of the water.

Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (If he sits longer because you're studying, that's OK.)
Gently release him into the tank.

3. To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

4. When I change the water I put him in the cup I got him in then I take everything out of the tank, rinse everything with warm tap water. Then I put everything back in the tank, fill it with dechlorinated new water, and then turn the heater on. When the tank water is the same as the cup water , then take the dirty cup water out and a little at a time and put clean tank water in the cup. After that I put the cup in the tank and he swims out.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote