Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #11 
Elaina

Craigslist is easy, you just respond to one of the ads and set up a time to meet the person. Check out the tank, ask lots of questions, and then if you're satisfied, give them your money.
Personally I always prefer to meet at somewhere public, and I don't go into some person's house EVER.
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #12 
ScuitoAmi150

I'd definitely get a 3 gallon if you can. It is still small enough to pick up and dump; easier water changes. still needs to be cleaned once a week
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #13 
DragonFish

If I may add my humble opinion....

Out of all the tanks I have(ranging from 2-50 gallons)my 5 gallon is probably my favorite. It doesn't take up a lot of space, its cycled so I only need to preform weekly PWCs which take only a few minutes, and if I so choose I can divide it for another betta. If you have the option, I would say go for a 5 gallon and cycle it.
I hear anything smaller is almost impossible to cycle....dunno how true that is, but I know a couple people on here have full 3 gallon setups...I just wish I could remember who so I could ask if theirs are cycled or not >_<; But, anything smaller then a 5 gallon I believe will need some sort of cleaning more then once a week...

Anyway, for heaters the Hydor Mini Heater is great for something small....I have them in my 2 gallon critter keepers and they work alright. Though it didn't do well in my 5 gallon, just couldn't keep it warm enough. I'm unsure how well it'd heat in a 3 gallon.....though I'd probably try for an adjustable heater anyway, just to be safe, especially if where the tank will be will get cold....

Craigslist is a good place to tank shop too, I always see lots of great deals. I've never used it personally, though I agree about meeting in a public place and perhaps dragging a friend along with you. That'd make me feel more safe
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #14 
New2Betas

I have bought and sold lots of things on CL. Make sure you barter before going, nothing is more annoying then when someone comes over and then tries to barter with you. I always bring my husband with me and normally meet at the persons house. When selling something I have never met someone other then at my house. I’ve been no showed to often to drag the item somewhere and wait forever hoping they show up. Don’t be afraid to negotiate. Ask for the item for a little lower then you want to pay, sometimes they agree to that lower amount, and it also give you a little room to increase your offer without going over budget. Ask lots of questions like what happen to their fish (you don’t want to use the rock and filter if all their fish died, could mean disease). Make sure it holds water, another reason why I like to go to their house. Also lets say you find a huge aquarium with everything and pay say $600. In their e-mail it says it holds water but when you get home and try to fill it up there is a huge leak. You try to get your money back but the seller won’t return e-mails. Because you picked it up at there house, have their name and number you can have law suite papers sent to their home. And if you ask lots of questions and the seller gets upset, that means he/she has something to hide. I also ask how old the tank is. As the silicone ages it can start to break and make the tank leak. Some goes for the lighted hood, if its old then it will evenly stop working. I Wouldn’t by anything more then a few years old. Always remember to keep safe! CL buyer and celler for more then 6 years.

New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #15 
xXbettagirl121Xx

nah. as long as you took care of the betta. i have a gallon tank for my beta but he seems pretty content. Now if you kept it in one of those little cups they come in at petstores... thats another story......
xXbettagirl121Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:23 AM   #16 
wallywestisthebest333

Thanks guys!=] I feel tons better now that I have a plan of action! =] This place is so cool! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruelty, gallon, tank