Betta Fish Forum banner

New Lazy Red VT Betta

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Romad 
#1 ·
Hello, After loosing my betta Sparky, I decided to get another betta. I went to Pet Supplies Plus and their bettas were free because they were given to them as a gift because they just had their grand opening. My new betta is in a 5 gallon, heated and filtered. I changed the water current for the filter because it was pushing my betta around so I made my own Filter Baffle from a Thread on how to make your own filter baffle. It worked like a charm but, my betta is really lazy. Yesterday, I scared him by accident when I was installing the Baffle and he darted around the tank then went to the bottom breathing fast. He comes out and flares around the tank too but he has been on the bottom hiding lately. I haven't seen him swim yet today. He is showing no signs of sickness except for his clamped fins because he was in such as small cup when I bought him he couldn't even flare or spread out his fins. Also, How can I get him to get interested in eating? I bought him on Thursday and Today is Saturday. Is he still adjusting to his new tank? Also, the first time I feed him, he was in his cup and he ate the pellet but he spit it out later after I put him in the tank. He spit it out about 30 minutes after I gave it to him. I cleaned my tank really good with hot water and rinsing a lot after loosing my betta Sparky. So, What do you think is wrong with him? Is he sick? Is he stressed? Is he still getting used to the new tank?

#2 ·
Sounds like he's still getting used to his surroundings. Don't worry just yet. Some adapt right away and sometake a while to get comfortable. Does he have plants and/or a cave in the tank for hiding spots?

What type of pellet are you using? Some are bigger and harder than others. Since you don't know what he was being fed before you got him, it might just be a case where he's not used to the texture or taste of what you're feeding him.

Keep up with feeding one or two and watch him. Unless he has some internal issues, he'll eventually realize that what you're giving him is dinner.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Sounds like he's still getting used to his surroundings. Don't worry just yet. Some adapt right away and sometake a while to get comfortable. Does he have plants and/or a cave in the tank for hiding spots?

What type of pellet are you using? Some are bigger and harder than others. Since you don't know what he was being fed before you got him, it might just be a case where he's not used to the texture or taste of what you're feeding him.

Keep up with feeding one or two and watch him. Unless he has some internal issues, he'll eventually realize that what you're giving him is dinner.

Good luck.
Thanks! I hope he isn't sick or has Internal Issues. I am using Top Fin Betta Pellets and my other Bettas loved them. He is hiding right now in his cave. Should I keep his light off for now?

#4 ·
Not sure about the light but if you have some indirect light in the room, maybe you should shut the tank light off. I keep mine on 4 hours in the morning and 4-5 hours at night. Timers rule :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.