Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS with Garlic. Don't remember the exact name... Haha.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10-20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.5
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a large sore on his right side that looks like a line and is getting worse. His color is faded.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He stays near the bottom of the tank a lot. He ate fine until today.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed he was a little less active lately, and less colorful, but I figure that might be because he is a giant.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Doing an extra water change now, put in two large IALs.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Never.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year.

I also need to add that I just moved about two weeks ago. I acclimated him to the new water VERY slowly and carefully, much moreso than with my other fish. The other fish are doing fabulous. Things have been very busy, so I haven't notice too much until he wouldn't eat today. This is the first time I ever set the tank up without IALs. I worry that it might be too late, though his wound is not open or anything, his color is miserable. He doesn't lay on his side, no pine-coning. I have a female that is nearly twice his age in the exact same conditions (different tank obviously) and she is doing perfect. The tanks are planted, so I am hesitant to use salt unless that would be the only possible cure. I have one other 10 gallon I could put him in, but would prefer not to move him as I don't have any other sort of plants or decor for him to hide with and that would only make him more stressed. He is a giant, I am not sure if that factors in at all, as I know they can be more delicate though I am not sure of their lifespan. I assumed it would be at least 2 years as well.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Nevermind. He is gone. :'(

I feel terrible, but I also am terribly confused. He was doing so well, my other fish are in perfect health too. I just don't understand. The only other time I have lost fish was due to age or poor conditions on my part, but at least then I knew what happened. :'(
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote