Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #1 
bettaowner101

New Lazy Red VT Betta

Hello, After loosing my betta Sparky, I decided to get another betta. I went to Pet Supplies Plus and their bettas were free because they were given to them as a gift because they just had their grand opening. My new betta is in a 5 gallon, heated and filtered. I changed the water current for the filter because it was pushing my betta around so I made my own Filter Baffle from a Thread on how to make your own filter baffle. It worked like a charm but, my betta is really lazy. Yesterday, I scared him by accident when I was installing the Baffle and he darted around the tank then went to the bottom breathing fast. He comes out and flares around the tank too but he has been on the bottom hiding lately. I haven't seen him swim yet today. He is showing no signs of sickness except for his clamped fins because he was in such as small cup when I bought him he couldn't even flare or spread out his fins. Also, How can I get him to get interested in eating? I bought him on Thursday and Today is Saturday. Is he still adjusting to his new tank? Also, the first time I feed him, he was in his cup and he ate the pellet but he spit it out later after I put him in the tank. He spit it out about 30 minutes after I gave it to him. I cleaned my tank really good with hot water and rinsing a lot after loosing my betta Sparky. So, What do you think is wrong with him? Is he sick? Is he stressed? Is he still getting used to the new tank?
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I think he's just getting used to the new tank. I've found that some of my bettas love having company, it gives them something to do. I have a couple that would rather be by themselves so they have their own tank. If you wanted, you could divide your 5G and get another betta. Some people think that it's mean for them to flare at each other, but I just look at it as, well they flare anyways when they see their reflection. Some people put females on the other side to keep the males interested especially if the male is a tail bitter.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #3 
vaygirl

Does the tank have a bright light? My guy was completely FREAKED by the light in my tank when I first put him in. You could also try soaking the pellets in some water from his tank before you give them to him or try him on just a few flakes every day to get him going. Maybe he's not used to pellets.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #4 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Does the tank have a bright light? My guy was completely FREAKED by the light in my tank when I first put him in. You could also try soaking the pellets in some water from his tank before you give them to him or try him on just a few flakes every day to get him going. Maybe he's not used to pellets.
Yes, It has a bright light. I will turn it off if it is freaking him out. When I put his food in, he doesn't seem to reallize that I did anything.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #5 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
I think he's just getting used to the new tank. I've found that some of my bettas love having company, it gives them something to do. I have a couple that would rather be by themselves so they have their own tank. If you wanted, you could divide your 5G and get another betta. Some people think that it's mean for them to flare at each other, but I just look at it as, well they flare anyways when they see their reflection. Some people put females on the other side to keep the males interested especially if the male is a tail bitter.
Thanks and I hope he gets used to it soon. I don't think I want to divide my 5 gallon. I'd rather have a non divided 5 gallon with 1 betta.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sure he'll be ok after a few days.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #7 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm sure he'll be ok after a few days.
What do you mean for a few days? Is he going to be better and is he still adjusting to his tank?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #8 
AlexXx

He should be fine in a few days as long as all what you posted is true, also maybe you should have your water tested? Maybe its to hard?
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #9 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
He should be fine in a few days as long as all what you posted is true, also maybe you should have your water tested? Maybe its to hard?
Thanks and it is all true. Also, I bought some Chemical Stuff that adds Beneficial Bacteria to my tank and I put some in the day I got him. Also, I noticed his breathing is a little faster than my previous Betta. I hope he's fine
Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #10 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
Today I looked at his fins and he has developed pin holes in his fins. Could this be fin rot? Or could he have injured himself on something? I have 3 Teaspoons of Aquarium Salt in the tank and remember it is a 5 gallon. Should I add 2 more Teaspoons of Salt?