Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #1 
GVeers

White spot, lethargy, labored breathing?

Our white betta is about 2 years old. He was originally named "Electra" because he looked like a female. Upon seeing his first bubble nest, we revised it to "Electro." He's been having a rough go lately (see my earlier post). He's been struggling to swim normally and frequently rests on something, with labored breathing. He eats, but I have been feeding him much less than usual in an attempt to fast him. Most recently, I'm noticing a white spot (see picture).

I have been giving him 50% water changes every day or every other day for about two weeks. I tried AQ salt for about a week, and then moved to Epsom salt. Neither have made a difference. He was also in a tank with quite a few baby snails which I believe contributed to a minor ammonia spike. Most of the snails have been removed and I'm now using Prime in his water changes.

Should I consider medication at this point? Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Housing
5 gallon
Gravel bottom, live plants and ornaments.
Heated, 80 degrees
Filtered
No aeration
No tankmates

Food
Rotation of Bio-Gold pellets, generic betta pellets, and freeze-dried foods
Once a day, 3-4 pellets

Maintenance
Typical bi-weekly water change of around 50%.
Typically only additive is water conditioner.

Water Parameters
Ammonia: 0 (recent spike to 0.25, now treating with Prime)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness: unknown
Alkalinity: unknown
Attached Images

GVeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #2 
GVeers

I'm thinking this is probably the end of the road for him, unless there are any possible steps to take. :(
Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

looks sort of like it might be a cyst but really hard to tell with that picture. Can you get other pictures of him from the side and different angles please?

Also how long has he been on ES now?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #4 
GVeers

He was on it for about a week, using 1 tsp/gallon. I recently took him off as it didn't seem to be helping, and I focused instead on the ammonia spike.

Here are some more pictures:
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh poor boy, bent spine looks to be. Most likely due from some sort of swim bladder issue as you expected.

What I think you should do is continue the ES but bump it up to 3 teaspoons per gallon over the next day days but do 50% or more of water changes daily if you can or every other day. This will help the ammonia and will give him more of a boost. I'd normally say that 2 years is young but he really isn't looking so good I'm sorry but there's always hope!

So tomorrow put back in 2 teaspoons per gallon but put it in slowly over half an hour or more so that he can adjust to it. Then the day after add another 1 teaspoons per gallon to make 3 teaspoons per gallon in total. So for this 5 gallon it will be 15 teaspoons total. And then the day after that, do as much of a water change as you can 50% being the least amount and then add in whatever you took out keeping with the 3 tsp per gallon thing.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #6 
GVeers

Thank you so much, lilnaugrim, for the response. Last night I did about a 60% water change with 3 tsp of ES. I've been building it up as you indicated.

He's a very tough guy and still hanging in there. Like you, I don't have much hope, but I will continue with daily water changes and the ES as long as he's fighting. I'm grateful to you for providing me direction.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I hope he'll be comfortable at least, that's probably the most you do until he tips either one way or another and get's better or worse.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #8 
GVeers

Other than using Stress Coat in my water changes, is there anything else I can do to make him comfortable?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Not much, just the cleanest water is basically what will help him.

You can try investing in Vita-Chem, vitamins for fish! I use that on a regular basis so if you have other fish or intend to get another after him, it will come in handy and help keep them all healthy as well But that's neither here nor there with this boy.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #10 
GVeers

Well it's been about a month since I first noticed these symptoms and he is not getting better. :( I have money to throw at meds and would gladly do it if I thought it would help. But I'm starting to seriously think about euthanizing.