Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #11 
ReeseInPieces

That kinda looks like that disease discussed on the sticky? Check it out.http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #12 
LaceyNylons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Do you know what else they have for medications there? Any Maracyn, or other such things? You'll want something with a wide range if the "cause and type is unknown" though I still think it is bacterial... It's easier to medicate (and safer) if you know what it is! And unfortunately, despite a heck of a lot I have encountered... This is not one of them.
I just dropped into a pet store and found some stuff called AquariCycline. It's a tetracycline based med and costs $27 for a small tub of powder. The bottle states to remove activated charcoal and treat Cheezle accroding to instructions. is it worth giving this a go, or is there something better I could source?
LaceyNylons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #13 
LaceyNylons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeseInPieces View Post
That kinda looks like that disease discussed on the sticky? Check it out.http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
Oh no! I hope that's not what Cheezle has. It hasn't appeared to affect his swimming or happiness and seems to be slow in onset...
Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #14 
ReeseInPieces

That sounds about right, good for treating external bacteria. Give it a go if he is looking fine and not bloated. I would be asking around that sticky maybe post a pic see what they think, definantly could use some imputing considering that the blisters are very close to his body and the disease/ bacteria could start infecting his tissue and turn into an internal problem. You reeeeallly don't want that happening.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #15 
ReeseInPieces

The bacteria in the sticky apparently can be affecting the fish for a long time before is starts presenting itself visually, the lesions could be another bacteria at work from his lowered immune system but the " ash" like Burt looking fin defiantly looks like what is discussed in the sticky. Also the sticky mentions it targets blues mostly but that doesn't exclude all other colours.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #16 
LaceyNylons

Thanks to everyone for all the advice :)

Cheezle's running a course of Tri Sulfa for 8 days. Will see how it all goes. Found a great aquarium that has much fish medicine and knowledge. They said they'll give Cheezle something a little stronger if the Tri Sulfa doesn't work.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

NO it is not that disease. I encountered it four times, saw it once in the store. This issue you have with your fish, happens to be way too slowly progressing, to be that disease. That disease kills between 8 and 72 hours at best. It lays dormant, in the genetic code... Until stress or other issues like illness strike it - then it becomes a "over night sudden appearance", usually ash colored fins, ash colored body. It eats the living tissue (as seen with my ich infested boy, where the ich "told" me where it would hit next as they scuttled out of the path), leaving nothing but a literal, living dead fish.

Glad they are giving you some good meds to help! I hope it goes well...

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 08-22-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #18 
LaceyNylons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
NO it is not that disease. I encountered it four times, saw it once in the store. This issue you have with your fish, happens to be way too slowly progressing, to be that disease. That disease kills between 8 and 72 hours at best. It lays dormant, in the genetic code... Until stress or other issues like illness strike it - then it becomes a "over night sudden appearance", usually ash colored fins, ash colored body. It eats the living tissue (as seen with my ich infested boy, where the ich "told" me where it would hit next as they scuttled out of the path), leaving nothing but a literal, living dead fish.

Glad they are giving you some good meds to help! I hope it goes well...
Oh my goodness! That sounds horrific! Glad it doesn't seem to be the same thing.

Hopefully these meds clear up whatever is going on with my little guy. He still seems super happy which is good :) Will keep updating this thread. Wish I had a definitive diagnosis of what is going on. Forums and Google only yield so much...
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #19 
Oldfishlady

I was asked to take a look at your Betta and IMO/E that area reminds me of a Pigment cell melanoma-usually benign-Not really a treatment per se and usually not fatal, however, once ruptured a secondary infection can develop and what can be the cause of death.

Since I only practice natural fish keeping and treatment-I would only recommend support of the immune response with clean tannin stained water and good nutrition-Once you add OTC medications you risk stressing the fish that compromises the immune response and killing both the good and bad bacteria/flora-knocking down the Betta natural defense-but that is just my opinion-lots of different ways to successfully treat.

Another thought on Dx-external parasite like fluke, fish lice, anchor worm..etc....burrowed under the scales-TX-manual removal with tweezers and salt/tannin/good nutrition

Good luck
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #20 
LaceyNylons

Thanks Old Fish Lady for your advice :)

Cheezle appears to be displaying more symptoms that have rapidly occured. The colour from his body has faded and he appears to have a very bloated abdomen from his gills down towards his tail. He still appears to be happy mind you, so I'll continue his treatment and cross my fingers that he pulls through. It's bed time in our part of the world, so we'll have to see how he is in the morning.