Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #11 
jadaBlu

In that case you could go to a fabric store or even some Walmart's and purchase some of the green craft netting to ensure the safety of your fish. It's very cheap. You can cut holes for your plants and wrap the top of your tank or you can do a dome. People do something like this for outdoor ponds. You can do a DIY version cheap:
http://improvements.scene7.com/is/im...rc=362494_main

I have seen more decorative dome types where they put a little decoration on top like you might see on the end of a fancy curtain rod. I could find a pic but it's the same concept as the frame of a fancy bird cage there are several example but there are ones that have a rectangular base might an example for an aquarium:

http://pinterest.com/toyastales/flig...ncy-birdcages/

or this lady did a more contemporary version you might adapt to your ripararium. You'd have to use something other than copper since it's toxic to some fish and invertabrates.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2835/

All of this has got me thinking I might try something like this in the future. I can hang my light from the ceiling and have the dome.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 08-22-2013 at 10:09 AM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

All of my aquariums are open tops for best light penetration to plants and I like to use cuttings from my weeping willow trees and allow them to root out-I love the look of the flowing branches sprouting from the tank-
I generally keep the water level pretty high on all of my tanks too and haven't had any issues with fish jumping out-Even on the grow out tanks with 30-40 swarming juvies following and jumping out of the water at you anytime you get close to the tank..lol...I am sure I have had a juvie jump out and die or be eaten by one of the cats-I just have never seen any bodies and I usually have too many to count to know if any are missing in a grow-out tank anyway-

I do have water lettuce and frogbit that covers about 25% of the surface and IMO/E the floating plants do help make the fish feel more secure-Usually the reason a fish jumps out is due to fear when its not water quality related-The fish is running from another fish or startled by something that makes them run then jump being part of its defense.

I have had the top of the tank covered so dense with floating plants with the frogbit getting deep and have not had any issue with a Betta not being able to get to the surface for air. My outside tanks especially are covered from edge to edge with frogbit and water lettuce-There is more air space among the floating plants than you realize-I have never feared for my fish suffocating due to the dense floating plants or them jumping out due to no tops.

Even with the outside tanks and rain as the tank overflow and flush out and we have had 3-6in at one time this year on several different occasions and I didn't have any fish loss with the adults-I did have a couple of nest with eggs get washed out and I am sure some of the smaller fry got washed out too-but none of the adults.

A Betta can jump out...mine never have with my open top tank or suffocated due to dense mats of floating plants-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #13 
jadaBlu

I like to be covered just in case. Bettas naturally will jump but most of mine do not display that natural tendency. Some people teach their bettas to jump to catch food which is really not a good idea. It seems seem cute until you find them dried out on the rug.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote