Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #11 
Laki

RedCassette, please be respectful. When any member offers advice they are not being malicious. Everybody is coming at the topic with personal experience or research or both. Remember, everybody has different resources and methods for caring for animals and it's important to respect everybody for that. This is a warning to be respectful/mindful- next time it gets reported (as per forum rules)

1077: here's a link for you regarding rats. It's considered the "rat bible"...http://ratfanclub.org/helpinfo.html
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #12 

Well,after searching ...proper care housing of rat(s), the consensus is according to several sites,,wire cages or,,,,AQUARIUMS of sufficient size.(Just as I thought).
Problems with respritory troubles are due (as I mentioned), to dirty fouled bedding which in too small an enviornment =ammonia smell which irritates the rat(s)
Keep the bedding changed and there is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a rat in 55 gal tank or larger.
Could find no evidnece that rat's need company, and is my view that more than one or two,,will ultimately lead to many many babies .They can breed like hamster's.
Just my two cent's.
Can google proper care, housing, for rat's for ones own,(I did) but much offered is opinion, just like other's who have regurgitated what they have heard.My observation's are from expierience with the creatures.
I am pleased that I have managed to keep the children's pet's alive each summer and according to ASPCA,and Fancy rat,mice,association ,have not done wrong.
Put that in your pipe and pull on it a while.

Last edited by 1077; 08-23-2013 at 11:13 AM.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #13 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
RedCassette, please be respectful. When any member offers advice they are not being malicious. Everybody is coming at the topic with personal experience or research or both. Remember, everybody has different resources and methods for caring for animals and it's important to respect everybody for that. This is a warning to be respectful/mindful- next time it gets reported (as per forum rules)

1077: here's a link for you regarding rats. It's considered the "rat bible"...Rat Fan Club

Thank you for the link.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #14 
shannonpwns

This doesn't need to turn into a debate....some people prefer their rats to have more fresh air than others.

Having more than one or two rats will not lead to many many babies, as 1077 put it, if you have the same sex. Duh. I think everyone knows this. Proper sexing of rats is not that difficult. I can sex babies from birth, but like I mentioned, I have had thousands of rats...I used to breed them. There is a difference in genitalia from birth.

These are my images from when I used to breed, proving there's a difference from birth if you know what to look for. :)
Male:
http://imageshack.com/i/nmqznej
http://imageshack.com/i/g9qgkuj

Female:
http://imageshack.com/i/0r5bdaj
http://imageshack.com/i/5j9d58j

I myself have kept rats in both aquariums AND cages. In my experience, the rats in cages have been happier and more active than the ones in aquariums. They have the cage bars to climb up, rather than being stuck with only whatever toys and stuff you have for them. Rats also enjoy chewing. With an aquarium, their water bottle needs to be inside with them, making it susceptible to a hole being chewed and all the water spilling/dripping out and wetting the bedding.

It is true, they can survive in an aquarium, much like a betta can survive in a small cup.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #15 
RedCassette

Apologies. I hadn't meant to come across as rude.
RedCassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #16 
thekinetic

Sannonpwns, just an fyi they make (I actually bought one for my hamster) glass bottles then you don't have to worry about chewing.

This is an interesting thread as I might be interested in own a rat in the future, lord knows MoMo keeps me busy enough withotu getting one now. X3
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #17 
shannonpwns

Yea you're right, I forgot about the glass ones! I only ever used one once before, I always had the plastic ones. I wish I still had rats! But I don't have the time needed for them anymore since I had a baby. :(
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #18 
sprinkleddonuts

I'd recommend getting more than one rat (same sex) because they are very social animals and will get stressed if alone.
sprinkleddonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #19 
Ezzie

I currently own three darling little girls who all came from pet stores and they are all darlings in their own way.

I found its true that females are a lot less "cuddly and squishy" then males, mine hardly want to be cuddled and petted and are happiest scampering around the rat proofed room exploring rather then being with us. That being said they are all very sociable (come to the cage bars and love treats and attention without the handling part of it) and have never showed any aggression towards us.

I would recommend getting two brothers who are still fairly young and come to you first when meeting them. Don't go for the cowering rats or the ones that are so quick to hide from humans, these guys usually don't make good pets. Just keep in mind that males are usually more stinky / have more hormonal issues (like marking and sometimes dominance aggression) but generally have a more laid back personality!

Heres a photo of my girls just to lure you into rats
Holly:

Alice:

Pepper (the baby!)
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #20 
percyfyshshelley

I want rats! Not allowed in Alberta so I had to settle for mice :)
I've had rats in the past and they are super pets and become very tame when they get used to you. I definately recommend a same sex pair. My personal preference for most pocket pets is a wire cage, for ventilation and climbing.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote