Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #1 
derpincogri

I'm not sure what's wrong with Ghost

Ghost is having some major issue. His face is swollen and looks painful. he has some black at the tips of his fins, but he is a marble, so I'm not sure what to expect from that. I haven't noticed any fin deterioration. Just a bit of black at the tips.
I recently upgraded him from a 3 gallon to a five gallon. No problems occurred and after two weeks, I got a new betta to take up residence in the 3. The filter I had on the three was way to strong for the shape of the tank, so I switched it with Ghost's.
That's when I started noticing problems.
I added aquarium salt today, checked my ammonia levels, and added a dab of water conditioner in case that filter was messing things up.
I bought a new filter similar to his old one and replaced the too strong filter today.
I'm fairly new to betta keeping, and I need some assistance in helping nurse him back to health.
I'd get a picture to show, but he is no longer being very forthright in roaming the tank.
derpincogri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hmmm difficult to say without a photo..... It may even be an injury. Pearl my red dragon girl had one side of her face swell so badly that all the scales stuck and and then fell off. It was like that for 2-3 weeks and I was so worried about her but it was an injury, not an illness and she is fully recovered now.

If you do manage to get a photo at some stage we may be able to offer more help.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi, can you fill out the form below? This will give people more information, and help them try to determine what's wrong. Answer what you can, and leave anything else blank. And yes, a photo would be great!

----------------------------------
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #4 
derpincogri

Housing :
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? operated a few hours every day
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets with the occasional dried blood worm
How often do you feed your betta fish? a few pieces twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? partial weekly, full monthly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? a water conditioner a friend gave me, and I was suggested aquarium salt, which I added today.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: normal
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His face looked strange to me, but now I can see that his eye is actually swollen as well as his head above his mouth
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's hanging out either in his hidey hole or in the corner next to the filter, staring out the back of the tank. He's never been terribly active. A very calm betta overall, but this is more than normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed symptoms after I had to switch filters with my new betta, as his was too strong.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I'm not sure what to treat him with, as pet conglom stores had NO good information for me.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I've only had him about 3 or so months now
How old is your fish (approximately)? A few months older than Petmart buying age.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #5 
derpincogri

After a bit more research, I think it might be pop-eye. He looks worse than he did when I came home from work at my lunch hour to switch the dogs and check on him. However, I'm starting to notice a bit of swelling in front of his ventral fin. I can't get a good photo as of yet as he will not face me. If I try to maneuver him out from the filter corner, he simply hides somewhere else where I can't see his face with the camera
Old 08-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #6 
derpincogri

Well I'm starting to panic a little bit. I keep reading that pop-eye can be tuberculosis related, and transferable to humans. I am immunodeficient, and very susceptible to things like tb, and would no longer be able to take medications I needed if I contracted it. Should i risk treating him myself since there's a possibility? Does anyone know how common tb in fish really is?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) Stop the aquarium salt. It causes fluid retention, and may be contributing to the popeye.

2) Do a water change. Use Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) at a dosage of 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gallon. Epsom salt has a laxative and fluid reducing effect, and should help the popeye.

3) If the Epsom salt doesn't help within a few days, he may need antibiotics. Let us know, and we can make some suggestions on what to try.

4) "Fish TB" is caused by Mycobacterium, a type of bacteria. (See link below.) It does occur in aquariums worldwide, as do many other aquatic bacteria, viruses and parasites. Since you're immunodeficient, I recommend that you wear nitrile gloves when working with fish in general. Also please talk to your doctor and determine your risk of becoming exposed to zoonotic diseases, etc.

Mycobacterial Infections in Fish: https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/even...factsheet/231/.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 08-24-2013 at 08:10 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote