Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #1 
Greylady

Dosage of Tetra Parasite Guard

Does anyone know how often I'm suppose to dose Tetra Parasite Guard? I've searched and searched the web, including Tetras website and cannot find the answer.

The box says...

"Add one tablet to each 10 gallons (40L) of Aquarium water"

That's it, that's all it says.... it doesn't say to redose, how many doses or how long between doses. Very frustrating! If there was a pamphlet or other instructions in the box that explained this more I didn't get one in my box. It almost sounds like you add one tablet and that's it, you're done because it doesn't say to redose...can this be right?
Thanks!
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

From the Drs Foster and Smith website: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23589

"For aquariums 40 gallons or larger and for soft water and/or acid water with low alkalinity, dissolve tablets before adding to aquarium. Remove carbon from filter during use. Treatment may be repeated up to two times with 48 hours between treatments and a 25% water change. For anchor worms and lice, repeat treatment up to three times using once a week with a 25% water change."
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #3 
Greylady

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
From the Drs Foster and Smith website: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23589

"For aquariums 40 gallons or larger and for soft water and/or acid water with low alkalinity, dissolve tablets before adding to aquarium. Remove carbon from filter during use. Treatment may be repeated up to two times with 48 hours between treatments and a 25% water change. For anchor worms and lice, repeat treatment up to three times using once a week with a 25% water change."
Thanks LittleBlue, I did see that, but it says "TREATMENT" may be repeated.

Most meds will say some thing like "add one tablet, wait 24 hrs, add another tablet, wait 24 hrs, do 25% wc, repeat doasage a second time for a total of 4 doses". I consider these 4 doses as one "treatment". Then it will say something like "treatment may be repeated up to 3 times after 48 hrs and wc." So that would mean after you finish the 4 doses, (ie "treatment") you wait 48 hours and dose for 4 days again.

Am I not interpreting this right? According to above you dose once, that's it, and if you want wait 48 hrs, and dose again? 1dose? Seems pretty vague...

Sorry if I'm coming across as grumpy or sarcastic, I'm not trying to be and I really appreciate your help, I'm just very frustrated because I've been searching for this answer for 3 hrs and I'd really like to be able to do something else besides just this on my day off! Thanks!
Old 08-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

You didn't say what size tank you have, so I'll use a 10 gal tank as an example, and assume that the issue you're having is with either internal or external parasites (but not anchor worms and lice)..... If you have a different sized tank and aren't sure how to adjust the amount, let us know.

Day 1) Add a tablet. Do nothing more for 48 hours.

Day 3) Do a 25% water change (or more, if you have a small tank).
If your fish still has symptoms: Add a tablet. Do nothing more for 48 hours.
(If your fish is cured, then you're done.)

Day 5) Do a 25% water change (or more, if you have a small tank).
If your fish still has symptoms: Add a tablet. Do nothing more for 48 hours.

Day 7) Evaluate whether additional treatment is needed. However, each tablet of this medication contains Praziquantel, Dflubenzuron, Metronidazole and Acriflavin. Both praziquantel and metronidazole are highly effective against parasites. So hopefully, the fish will have been treated fully by this time.

I was able to find the half-life of these meds in humans, but not in fish. However, I assume you only need to dose every 48 hours because much of the medication probably remains active for this 2 day period of time. After 48 hours, some of it likely starts to break down, or become inactive, which is why the directions say to redose at that time.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 08-24-2013 at 04:21 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #5 
Greylady

Ok thank you