Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None right now

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Morning and night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Have been every day since Monday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner, stress coat and since Monday, aqu salta

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water. No, "normal" readings on stick If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

The following answers the above questions. I noticed what I thought was fin rot last Sunday. I took him out of the 10 gallon aqu and put him in the 1.5 tank. Read to do 100% water changes and 1 tsp aqu salt per gallon every day until I saw improvement. I started seeing what I thought improvement but tonight things have gone TERRIBLY wrong!! About two hours ago, I went to check on him and he was frantically darting around the tank. I took a video. And a pic because he's had a black spot on his side fin that hasn't gone away. I just checked on him again and he's at the bottom of the tank lethargic. His face is tremendously discolored. I want to change the water, but need advice!!!! One of the long fins that hangs down looks discolored as well and it looks like he's got black spots on his upper fin now. I'm not sure how old he is. This is all happening in a matter of hours and I'm afraid he's going to die. All I have at the house is an ick treatment made from tea tree oil and a fungus med. please help!! I couldn't figure out how to post more than one pic and it looks upside down. The video won't post.
Attached Images

Jennikatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like he was shocked in some way by either-extremely too hot or cold water, forgotten or not enough dechlorinator, chemistry change with one of the 100% water changes.

What I would recommend-get a 1gal jug of double dosed dechlorinated water-add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins-Use this premixed water for 25% water changes every 5min for 20min-Lower the water level to about 3-4in-drop in a Oak or IAL to float, a sprig of live plant if you have one-Turn out the light-no filter or water movement-temp 76-78F...In 24h start 25% water changes with the premixed treatment water-it should look really dark after 24h leaching and this is what you want.

IMO/E-its not a good idea to make 100% water changes for treatment and when treating it is a good idea to have your treatment water premixed to avoid accidents.

Good luck
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #3 
Jennikatz

Oldfishlady, I was thinking about the shock thing, but would all of this happen almost 24 hrs after the water change? The only thing I would think that would shock him out of these options would have been water temp.

I have been treating him with the aquarium salt. Everytime I put him in water, its been premixed with dechlorinator - usually more than necessary because everything is dosed for a 10 gallon tank.

I'm not sure what tannins is. I'm not sure what you mean by Oak or IAL float. I'm very new to all this.

The water temp concerned me so I bought a very small heater and a new thermometer. The temp looks to be around 78 now.

When I checked on him earlier today, he's got a ton of new holes in all is fins. They're not that big, but they are definitely new as he hasn't had any holes. Just what I initially thought was fin rot. He has been doing a ton of thrashing around, so I'm guessing he's doing this to himself? Another new development of the day - he doesn't look like he's for "pop-eye" per say, but at least one of his eyes looks like its covered with a film. Neither look good, but one looks worse. It's almost he's acting like he's blind with the sudden movements and swimming into things. His breathing is very labored. He's head and some of his gills are very discolored - paleish gray.

I'm at a loss. Petco doesn't have the best options on medications. I bought some betta fix and put a few drops in. I feel like I'm doing more harm than good.
Jennikatz is offline   Reply With Quote