Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #1 
redthebetta

HELP ME!!! Java is almost dead!!

My new betta, Java jumped the barrier on my split tank and got beat up. He is lying on the bottom of my quarantine tank but is still breathing. I have no aq or rock salt but I do have coarse sea salt. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #2 
redthebetta

Please help me ASAP!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #3 
redthebetta

Come on guys!

Last edited by redthebetta; 08-24-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #4 
sunlight

The only choice you have is do daily water changes and add stress coat. Aquarium salt is good for the injuries . You could use 1tsp/gall with daily water changes but i don't know what is coarse sea salt sorry. Lets try to google ....I think it Sodium Chloride. I don't know sorry. But it not expensive and if you can go tomorrow you can buy it at the pet store. Meanwhile just keep warm water. If you can buy stress coat it has Aloe Vera and good for healing. Poor guy :(
If you will buy aq salt always premix it and make sure it dissolved befoer you add it to his tank. And acclimate him really slowly.

Last edited by sunlight; 08-24-2013 at 11:22 PM.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #5 
darkangel

you should fill this out:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Laying at the bottom could be anything, we need some more info.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #6 
MichelleA

Sea salt is NOT aquarium salt. It has more than just sodium chloride in it. Kosher salt is and will help with external injures. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and will aid in internal injures. Also as sunlight said, you need clean warm water and stress coat.
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Please fill out the sticky that DarkAngel posted. Also, can you provide any photos? Once we have more information, we can make a better call on what's needed. But I don't want to throw salts or medications into his tank until we know more. Therefore:

I would not use any salt at this point. (I would NOT add aquarium salt, kosher salt, Epsom salt, or any other ionic compound, which are generally referred to as 'salts.') See the explanations for this, below.

I would do the following:
  • Put him into clean, warm water.
  • Keep the temperature in the 78-80F range.
  • Do frequent partial water changes to keep bacterial and toxin levels low.
  • If he has trouble swimming, lower the water level so it's easier for him to reach the surface.
  • Feed small meals of high quality proteins. This will help his immune system heal his injuries. If you can get mosquito larvae, that would be the ideal food.
  • Cover the top of the tank with plastic food wrap (Saran wrap). This will increase the humidity level and make it easier for him to breathe. Be sure there are several inches of air between the water and food wrap!
  • Keep him in a darkened, quiet location. Darkness has a calming effect on them. If you can't darken the room, wrap a sheet or towel around the tank. (Generally, I leave a tiny gap so I can peek in from time to time.)
  • If you want to add something more, look into VitaChem. It's a vitamin/amino acid supplement for fish. It's available at Drs Foster and Smith. It may help strengthen his immune system, and allow his body to heal any injuries.

Here are the reasons that I would NOT use any salts until more info is provided:
  • Aquarium salt contains mostly sodium chloride, along with a small amount of other minerals/salts.
    Sodium stresses the kidneys. The last thing he needs right now is additional stress on his internal organs. His immune system needs to focus on healing any injuries he already has, and it can't do this if his kidneys are subjected to stressors such as sodium-containing salts. Plus, if his internal organs have been compromised, the sodium-containing salts will stress them even more.
  • If it appears that any of the wounds are becoming infected, then either Aquarium salt or an antibiotic would be appropriate. However, these have side effects, which is why I'm not recommending adding them right now.
    The main side effect is that they must be metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidneys. Again, until we know the extent of his injuries, we don't want to add salts/medications that can cause additional stress to him.
  • Kosher salt also contains mostly sodium chloride. See all of the above.
  • Epsom salt does not contain any sodium chloride. However, it has a diuretic effect. Unless he is showing evidence of fluid retention (which was not noted in the OPs description), then he doesn't need something that will have a laxative effect. If he starts to become bloated, then yes, Epsom salt would be appropriate. But this isn't mentioned in the OP's current description of the problem.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 08-25-2013 at 01:09 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #8 
redthebetta

Thanks for the help but Java died just before I went to sleep.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #9 
peachii

I'm so sorry redthebetta! Thoughts are with you. :(
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #10 
MichelleA

Awe im so sorry : (
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me!!!!