Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #1 
Jennikatz

Exclamation Can aquarium salt hurt your fish instead of helping?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes but it's off right now
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated? as of this afternoon, yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none right now

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? bettamin tropical medley
How often do you feed your betta fish? am and pm

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? last mon thru thurs 100% b/c was treating fin rot
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% for these days, prior 1/week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stresscoat and water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?normal on a stick

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? turned to pale gray face last night, today,there are holes in his fins, also noticed today is eyes looked covered with a film - last night it looked like a string or something was hanging from his worse eye (one is worse than the other), breathing appears to be labored
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?he is very erratic swimming around, kinda bumping into stuff when he does, appears to be coming to surface a lot almost coming out of the water
When did you start noticing the symptoms?last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?i started last Monday treatment of 2.5 tsp aquarium salt and 100% water change to cure the fin rot. Yesterday, things went south and almost 24 hrs after a water change, he started turning colors to a pale gray in the face and some on gills, like he was stressed but I don't know by what.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure

I've read where you should use epsom salt instead of aquarium salt because it can hurt their kidneys. I'm wondering if I've hurt him with the aquarium salt? He seems to be just barely hanging on today. I did a 50% water change and put some BettaFix in today. I posted some of this last night and OFL gave some good advice. I'm new and don't know some of this lingo. I'm just trying to get more traffic on this and had this question.
Jennikatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #2 
darkangel

2.5 tsp??? that is a lot of salt for just 1 gallon, the recommended dose is 1/2 tsp per 1 gallon, the max. people ever use is 1 tsp per gallon.

betta are fresh water fish, while a little salt can help, they can't handle that much salt. do a 100% immediately and remove the salt. let him have just plain clean water for a couple of days.

I noticed you only change your water once a week before, a 1 gallon needs to be changed every 3 days or ammonia builds up. ammonia can cause a betta to become lethargic, pale and lead to infections. so your betta feeling down might cuz there wasn't enough water changes.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

How did you acclimate him to the salt water? You did overdose the salt, and yes aquarium salt can hurt your fish if you overdose it. It can cause kidney damage, and other organ damage. Why did you use 2.5 tsp?

As for Bettafix, I personal don't recommend it because it may coat the labyrinth organ and cause suffocation.

Epsom salt is used to treat internal problems, not fin rot.

Honestly, I would do 100% water change and give him fresh new water (with nothing but water conditioner as an additive). Let him regroup before you try to treat him because treatment is hard on their body. His body is probably going "AHHHH!!!" right now as a result of the salt overdose.

ETA: I see you have another thread going on this forum. Please don't start multiple threads about the same fish one day apart. It confuses us who are trying to help, and we may offer conflicting advice. I went and saw what OFL said. Follow her advice, she knows what she's talking about.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 08-24-2013 at 07:48 PM.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Also, make sure the Aq salt or Epsom salt is completely dissolved before adding it to the tank. You may already be doing that but I just want to make sure. Most fin rot will clear up with clean, warm, conditioned water. I agree with the other two, do a 100% & give him a break from the salt for a day or two at least to see if that helps.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 
Jennikatz

Well, I know I'm not a complete idiot and had to have read what I did which is why I did it. Even in a state of panic as I've been the past couple of days over this fish.

For those of you that want to know why I dosed the aquarium salt the way I did, I got it off this web site.

http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html

I did exactly as the directions stated. It does say on there you can have a max of 3 tsp per gallon.

I am sorry I posted about the same fish twice. I was in a panic. I am absolutely positive Old Fish Lady knows exactly what she's talking about. The problem is, I didn't. I searched on where to find tannins and couldn't. I don't know what IAL stands for - so i have no idea what "lower the water to about 3-4 drops in a Oak or IAL to float" means. I answered the post but got no response. I can't follow advice that i don't understand. Which is fine because there's more than one way to skin a cat. So I reposted to try to get more traffic because I was afraid my fish was dying.

I never put him in water than wasn't pre-mixed. And did the 100% water change last night. But none of it really matters now because he died today.

Clearly, i am not as experienced as anyone on this forum. But, I'm not a compete idiot. I did what I did because I read it on the Internet. And there's a lot out there. And its all very convincing that's what you need to do to help your fish. And it all conflicts itself. And I feel terrible because my fish is dead now.
Jennikatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennikatz View Post
Well, I know I'm not a complete idiot and had to have read what I did which is why I did it. Even in a state of panic as I've been the past couple of days over this fish.

For those of you that want to know why I dosed the aquarium salt the way I did, I got it off this web site.

I did exactly as the directions stated. It does say on there you can have a max of 3 tsp per gallon.

I am sorry I posted about the same fish twice. I was in a panic. I am absolutely positive Old Fish Lady knows exactly what she's talking about. The problem is, I didn't. I searched on where to find tannins and couldn't. I don't know what IAL stands for - so i have no idea what "lower the water to about 3-4 drops in a Oak or IAL to float" means. I answered the post but got no response. I can't follow advice that i don't understand. Which is fine because there's more than one way to skin a cat. So I reposted to try to get more traffic because I was afraid my fish was dying.

I never put him in water than wasn't pre-mixed. And did the 100% water change last night. But none of it really matters now because he died today.

Clearly, i am not as experienced as anyone on this forum. But, I'm not a compete idiot. I did what I did because I read it on the Internet. And there's a lot out there. And its all very convincing that's what you need to do to help your fish. And it all conflicts itself. And I feel terrible because my fish is dead now.

For future reference (IAL) Indian Almond Leaf. You should always start with the lowest dosage of something and see if it works. If it doesn't then up the dosage. With fin rot, all the aquarium salt is doing it irritating the tissue so the dead tissue will slough off. You really do not "need" aquarium salt to treat the majority of fin rot cases as the tissue will slough off on its own eventually. The salt just encourages it to go faster.

I am sorry about your fish passing.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennikatz View Post

I am sorry that you feel as if you were being talked down to or attacked, that was not anyone's intention. None of us know for certain how much knowledge or experience each person has so we do the best we can to help. The way we write things is not always read with the intent we mean it to be, misinterpretation is a common problem. I'm sorry we weren't better able to help save your Betta.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote