Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #21 
Ilikebutterflies
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Might have some pastels in a few weeks. Might have some yellows/cambos in a month-I have some jarred now. Might have some adults when I decide to reduce the number of breeders. I keep my spawns small so I don't have so many to weed through and cull. I'm really hoping for a few to send to shows in the fall.

My current stock is much better than what I started with but not as nice as I hope to have this time next year.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #22 
Ilikebutterflies
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
IMO there's no fun in buying and breeding a sibling pair from someone else's line... Yes, you will get predictable, possibly high quality results... But there isn't any creativity or surprises.

I like to start with two unrelated fish with good finnage and nice color to start lines. To do this you need a working knowledge of the genetics, though... So you don't put a red fish with a blue fish and be sad when you get blue fish with red wash like every fish at the petstore.
Exactly this! Maybe for your very first pair get a matched lovely pair but after that do the work yourself!
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #23 
Croz711
Member
 
Croz711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
IMO there's no fun in buying and breeding a sibling pair from someone else's line... Yes, you will get predictable, possibly high quality results... But there isn't any creativity or surprises.

I like to start with two unrelated fish with good finnage and nice color to start lines. To do this you need a working knowledge of the genetics, though... So you don't put a red fish with a blue fish and be sad when you get blue fish with red wash like every fish at the petstore.
Good advice! I know that the crown tail is a recessive trait which is why I purchased two crowntails... I would love to hear your input on how to select in order to get the desired allele (gene) that I want in future generations...Thanks for your comment! It woke me up haha..
Croz711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #24 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Lots of FB groups for breeders who sell/trade/give fish away all the time.. there is an IBC chapter group in Florida and in quite a few states. Any breeder you buy from you can ask if they have other fish for sale as well - related or non related, especially females as usually there is some just stocked up. I wish I had some for sale now, but they are all a bit too young and are still developing.. but look up groups in FB and find some.. I know there is First Coast Bettas group that just started, but you can go from there by asking where other groups are at and such. I can't link it to you, as it is against the rules, but if you can't find any from breeders here you will need to check out FB, Ebay and Aquabid.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #25 
Croz711
Member
 
Croz711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Lots of FB groups for breeders who sell/trade/give fish away all the time.. there is an IBC chapter group in Florida and in quite a few states. Any breeder you buy from you can ask if they have other fish for sale as well - related or non related, especially females as usually there is some just stocked up. I wish I had some for sale now, but they are all a bit too young and are still developing.. but look up groups in FB and find some.. I know there is First Coast Bettas group that just started, but you can go from there by asking where other groups are at and such. I can't link it to you, as it is against the rules, but if you can't find any from breeders here you will need to check out FB, Ebay and Aquabid.

Good luck!
Thank youu!! By the way, the bettas in your profile pic are beautiful :)
Croz711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #26 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Thanks (I just now changed it lol), but that is my line of butterflies - was father, son both were bred by me :) Now it's just the father who came from another line of mine. I just wish I could get a picture of him flaring lol.. he flares nonstop but as soon as he sees a camera he stops and stares -.-
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #27 
Croz711
Member
 
Croz711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Thanks (I just now changed it lol), but that is my line of butterflies - was father, son both were bred by me :) Now it's just the father who came from another line of mine. I just wish I could get a picture of him flaring lol.. he flares nonstop but as soon as he sees a camera he stops and stares -.-
I just bought three more yesterday that seemed like better matches for what I wanted (line wise) ...another thing, Ive been having trouble breeding (gasp) ;/
Croz711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #28 
Croz711
Member
 
Croz711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
My fish just wrapped :) thank you guys for all the help! :::))))
Croz711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #29 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Congrats!!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #30 
MattsBettas
Reference Team
 
MattsBettas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Now the real work begins .
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thoughts on these breeding pairs titolatino1970 Breeding Betta Fish 27 08-03-2012 02:49 PM
Breeding Pairs! GreenTea Betta Pictures 71 01-03-2012 01:39 AM
New breeding Pairs, what do you think? DarkMoon17 Breeding Betta Fish 18 04-20-2011 09:15 PM
breeding Pairs... Abby Breeding Betta Fish 8 02-26-2011 01:15 AM
Breeding Pairs and Spawns Hopeful Breeding Betta Fish 6 02-01-2010 02:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.