Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #1 
alleyjay

Left pectoral fin looks different from right...

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on how to help Fighter through his seemingly random seizure and spasm like behavior. I have moved him away from the stove and concluded that the heat fluctuations caused the problem. He is back to his happy self and is very proud of the bubble nest he made today. :)

However I did notice that his pectoral fins look a bit odd. He has no problems swimming (did some laps in and out of his new plant for me today - look mom!) but the left one seems to be very transparent, only the webbing is there, if that makes sense. The right one is a little better, but seems to be well on it's way to becoming only webbing. The rest of the fin is wasting away...

Is this normal? His other fins look fine, I keep a close eye on him and they actually got so long I've gotten him a new plant with less edges he could possibly rip himself on. A previous betta of mine would squeeze himself through the tiny moat of a castle I had in the bowl and wound up shredding his fins, so I do have BettaFix on hand.

I can post pictures if that would help.

What size is your tank? A plastic fishbowl, one or two gallons. Probably one.
What temperature is your tank? room temperature
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, i do have a heater though made for bettas
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a plant from "betta world" zoo med and little treasure chest

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH betta bites pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? two pellets on weekdays, one on weekends. occasional zoo med dial a treat:Mysis, Daphnia, or Blood Worms

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a month or so
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% - i know this is bad now and will do partial water changes from now on
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta specific water conditioner, tap water conditioner or stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? see above
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? happy as a clam, can swim around fine
When did you start noticing the symptoms? i noticed today, but he could have had this for a while
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nothinn
Does your fish have any history of being ill? seizures/spasms mentioned above, all gone!!
How old is your fish (approximately)? 10-12 months
alleyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I know the issue right away before reading anything else.

Water changes. The 100% is not the bad part the "once a month or so" is the bad part!

A one gallon tank has to be cleaned more than that. The ammonia has got to be off the charts by then, and can cause fin rot. I suggest twice weekly for an unfiltered 1 gallon bowl at least. These water changes should actually be 100%, to keep that ammonia down. You MIGHT get away with once a week, but in my own personal experience 2 per week keeps the ammonia down, while 1 per week lets the ammonia get between .15 to .25 at least, which any amount is very bad for fish.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #3 
alleyjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I know the issue right away before reading anything else.

Water changes. The 100% is not the bad part the "once a month or so" is the bad part!

A one gallon tank has to be cleaned more than that. The ammonia has got to be off the charts by then, and can cause fin rot. I suggest twice weekly for an unfiltered 1 gallon bowl at least. These water changes should actually be 100%, to keep that ammonia down. You MIGHT get away with once a week, but in my own personal experience 2 per week keeps the ammonia down, while 1 per week lets the ammonia get between .15 to .25 at least, which any amount is very bad for fish.
So a 100% water change twice a week, once at the least. Any specific way I should be doing it? Right now it's just a quick gravel rinse, fill up with luke warm water, and add stress coat. then he goes back in with the water i took out to keep him in temporarily. What about the "good bacteria" and all that? And is there anything else I can do to help the fin rot?

Last edited by alleyjay; 08-25-2013 at 09:25 AM.
alleyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

You won't be able to cycle a 1 gal container that has no filter. The "good bacteria" lives in the filter media, and since there's no filter, there's no cycle.

As for water changes, there are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Note the temperature of the water. (Use a thermometer.)
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. (Within +/- 2 degrees F, or 1 degree C.)
  4. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  5. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Longer is OK.)
  6. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  7. Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Longer is OK.)
  8. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  9. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (Longer is OK.)
  10. Gently release him into the tank.

Most times, clean and warm water, along with good nutrition, are all that's needed to treat fin rot. If you notice that the infection persists or gets worse , let us know. He may need salt or medication. But these are harsh on the body, so it's better to try just clean/warm water and good food first.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 08-25-2013 at 12:23 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

You can actually remedy fin rot, with the simplistic TLC method. Does not sound like it is extreme, therefore medication will be overdoing it. LBF has given awesome steps to carefully integrate him back into a cleaned tank. I do every other day cleanings for any 1 gallons I use, but at the absolute minimum once or twice a week is what you can get away with - no less than that!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin, pectoral, shredded, veiltail