Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #41 
Jarick

Honestly, for newer betta owners, it is advisable for them not to breed. Multiple tanks and or containers are needed. Multiple amounts of food. A space solely dedicated to the whole process.

Goals should be made in how you decide your pair. What do you intend to do? What colors do you want? Tail types? Some bettas, on the other hand shouldn't be bred. Mixing particular tail types can result in horribly messy and or deformed fry.

You WILL have AT LEAST 50 or so after the entire process, assuming you cull when needed. Which, that is a whole different hurdle. You'll need to be able to either sell, or give away the fry. Again, that brings us back to the goals of your breeding. Some betta types/colors do not sell well in some areas.

I do not believe anyone was disuading you from breeding. We simply wish you to have all information and to think about all the aspects. Sometimes that comes off harsh only because the case is that most shouldn't breed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #42 
txbettaowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Honestly, for newer betta owners, it is advisable for them not to breed. Multiple tanks and or containers are needed. Multiple amounts of food. A space solely dedicated to the whole process.

Goals should be made in how you decide your pair. What do you intend to do? What colors do you want? Tail types? Some bettas, on the other hand shouldn't be bred. Mixing particular tail types can result in horribly messy and or deformed fry.

You WILL have AT LEAST 50 or so after the entire process, assuming you cull when needed. Which, that is a whole different hurdle. You'll need to be able to either sell, or give away the fry. Again, that brings us back to the goals of your breeding. Some betta types/colors do not sell well in some areas.

I do not believe anyone was disuading you from breeding. We simply wish you to have all information and to think about all the aspects. Sometimes that comes off harsh only because the case is that most shouldn't breed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I agree. I have been in the betta hobby for almost a year and I still know I'm not ready to breed. You need to have the money, time, and space.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #43 
dramaqueen
Banned

What we're advising you and any new breeder is to breed when the time is right. When you have all the knowledge you need and all the equipment you need and the proper foods. We see so many people who have 'oops' spawns and then think the fry can survive on egg yolk and crushed flakes. We want to prevent this from happening. So we're not trying to tell you not to do it, but we want you to do it when the time is right and you're prepared. There are breeders on this forum who are more than happy to share their knowledge and experience with you. Myates, Darth, Littlebettafish and
Mattsbettas to name a few.
Txbettaowner has the knowledge but the time isn't right for her now but I'm sure it won't be too much longer. :)

Last edited by dramaqueen; 08-25-2013 at 10:29 PM.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #44 
txbettaowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
What we're advising you and any new breeder is to breed when the time is right. When you have all the knowledge you need and all the equipment you need and the proper foods. We see so many people who have 'oops' spawns and then think the fry can survive on egg yolk and crushed flakes. We want to prevent this from happening. So we're not trying to tell you not to do it, but we want you to do it when the time is right and you're prepared. There are breeders on this forum who are more than happy to share their knowledge and experience with you. Myates, Darth, Littlebettafish and
Mattsbettas to name a few.
Txbettaowner has the knowledge but the time isn't right for her now but I'm sure it won't be too much longer. :)
Thank you dramaqueen. I may come visit you and bring some bettas lol Myates is always happy to help new betta owners. She is a sweetie and I keep threatening to betta-nap a few of hers lol
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #45 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm still waiting for her to mail mine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote