Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #1 
pastelcarousel

General questions for starting a 10 gal!

I've always had my bettas in small bowls and tanks and want to upgrade to a 10 gal! I'm getting tired of 100% changes every other day on my small tanks, and I'm sure my Poppy and any future fish would rather have it easier on them as well.

So!! I've been looking at this kit: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...m?pcatid=23554. It comes with basically everything except decorating and a water testing kit. Has anyone used this? I've seen lots of good reviews on it on the site. Is it a good deal?

My other option is getting a $13 ten gal tank at Walmart and a heater. I already own a Whisper 10i. Is that alright for a single fish in a ten gal? As for a heater, I am looking at this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=25160. The brand has a slim heater that got featured as a best product of 2012, but it was the neo-therm heater, not that accu-therm heater. Anyone used this accu-therm? Or any other reliable heaters? I recently got a TopFin heater and it killed my lovely Toki, and I'm still devastated. :c now I'm really wary of heaters too, because it was chemicals that killed him. So I'm nervous!!

Cycling...well I've read everything on God's green (..blue in this case) earth on it. I want to do the pure ammonia method and am 99% sure I can do it, haha! I'm going to get some marimos for the tank too. Theyre adorable. Will those help the cycling along? Should I get live bacteria supplements (safe start is one, I think)?

So basically: which tank? If not the kit, is a 10i in a 10g alright? Is that cobalt brand heater alright? And will anything help the pure ammonia cycling along?

I know that's a lot of questions, I'm sorry!!! ;w;

Last edited by pastelcarousel; 08-24-2013 at 01:45 AM.
pastelcarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

I have the kit in the first link, and the tank is fine and the LED hood is great, but the filter is LOUD....idk if it just mine or what but it is pretty bad...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #3 
pastelcarousel

Really?? Ahh not cool! I honestly wouldn't mind if its white noise, though. Irregular ticking and stuff drives me nuts, so if its like that, then it's a definite no go! I'd read some reviews that it was loud.

Do you have any idea what brand heater it came with, by the way?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastelcarousel View Post
Really?? Ahh not cool! I honestly wouldn't mind if its white noise, though. Irregular ticking and stuff drives me nuts, so if its like that, then it's a definite no go! I'd read some reviews that it was loud.

Do you have any idea what brand heater it came with, by the way?
I'm guessing it would be marineland...but I don't really like it so far either only because there are no actual numbers near the dial, just a "+" and a "-" so you know if you are turning it up or down. Also there is no indicator light.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #5 
pastelcarousel

Thank you for the info! ( ▽ ` )ノ the store description isn't particularly helpful at all haha
Old 08-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #6 
pastelcarousel

Bumping up to see if a whisper 10i and a cobal accu therm heater are alright~
Old 08-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #7 
pastelcarousel

Bumping again~
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Most tank kits are marketed with fish other than Betta in mind, so the filters are sometimes inappropriately powerful. If I were setting a up a 10g for a Betta, I'd get the tank on dollar/gal sale or as cheap as you can get a glass tank. If you're planning on growing plants a desk lamp with a 15W CFL daylight (6500K) bulb, or a short shoplight with daylight bulb. A sponge filter is usually best for a big-fin Betta as they cause little current. But your Whisper 10i is fine.

The Hydor heater is frequently recommended around here. My Hagens have been reliable for years. (You know to get an adjustable heater?) Cruise the threads for a heater thread and look below the posts for the "similar threads" section. You'll get many more recommendations.

Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #9 
Namialus

I have the first kit. It's good, I love it, but really, for just one betta, it's too much. I originally bought it for a bunch of guppies (a while ago) but columnaris happened so I restarted it for just one betta.

Don't go as expensive as you can for a betta because really they don't need
much. :P
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #10 
pastelcarousel

That's what I'm thinking about the kit; I'll probably end up replacing most of what it comes with, so I'll just skip on it. I'll go with getting the cheap tank at Walmart and using the whisper filter (maybe get a sponge filter soon). ^o^

The Cobalt heater has a thermostat and I've read that it's accurate. So now I'm between a Jager heater or the Cobalt one...I've heard lots of people say good things about Jager so I'll probably go with it.