Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #1 
kbraucci

How to get male out after spawn hatches.

Hello there. Well I have babies!! But my problem is they started free swimming today. I cant get to the male without netting the babies. What is the best way to get the male without grabbing babies with him?
kbraucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #2 
kbraucci

Whew! Actually I just got him out. But I am wondering how long to you leave the almond leaf that was floating for the nest in the tank?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #3 
Myates

Leave the leaf in there until it starts to deteriorate, it's healthy for them as it releases the tannin and provides a bit of micro food :)

Males can be tricky.. can always place another male jarred on the outside of the tank on the opposite side of the nest and see if dad will go over there to chase him away.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

... Or lure him over with food. That's a bit easier.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I guess everyone has his own way. Since mine usually fasts during the whole ordeal, I lure dad with another betta then catch him with my hand.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #6 
kbraucci

I was lucky. He decided to come to the middle of the tank and popped up and I grabbed him. He's chillin now and getting his much needed rest :)
Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #7 
Chutney

That's good. I am thinking about breeding one of my boys... I just don't know which one I should use. I'm leaning more towards Cosmo because he has a large bubble nest and is very docile. He comes when I put my finger above his tank so it should be easy to get him out if I do...
Chutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #8 
kbraucci

I think it has more to do with the tank set up when removing a male. Room for him to come out and away from babies so you can scoop him up without grabbing a bunch of babies. So far the fry are doing good. I wanted to clean the bottom of the tank but the fry hang right around my siphon if I try to clean anything so I said, nope, leave it alone for now. I have a little sponge filter bubbling as gentle as can be, just a very light bubble not to hurt the fry or disturb the water too much, just to keep the top of the water clear. It was not a big spawn. I think maybe 50 at best. It's all a learning process and I am happy I got this far without any major event. I keep a close eye on them for any changes and so far so good :)