Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #1 
New2Betas

Question Not sure what to do, she wont eat or come out of her shell.

The little girl I bought 12 days ago has not changed. Still has the white poo, wont eat, and anytime I come near her she hides as fast as possible. I have no idea how she has even lived this long since she never eats anything. Will she ever come around or is she a lost cause?
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #2 
ChloesMom

sounds like she is sick if she isnt eating but is pooping, i dont think its poop, i think its an infection or parasite, anyone else?
ChloesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #3 
Betta Slave

Yeap, sounds like a parasite... Hard to get rid of, unfortunatly...
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #4 
New2Betas

I already know itís an internal parasite, bought the medicated food 2 weeks ago, but she will not eat. Is she just going to suffer like this till she starves to death?
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I found this info. on Healthy Betta for treating internal parasites. Hopefully it's not too late. Good luck and let us know if you're able to save him.

Medication(s)
The most common medication suggested for internal parasites is Maracyn-Two, as this medication can be absorbed internally.
View Healthy Betta’sAquarium & Fish Medication Dosing Made Easy for simple 1-gallon fish tank medicine doses.
Medicated Food
Medicated food is another common treatment method suggested for internal parasites, used in conjunction with a treatment in the tank. It should contain an anti-protozoa ingredient, such as Metronidazole. Pepso Food made by Jungle Labs is intended for internal parasites.
If your betta should die, scour and scald the tank or bowl he was in in order to prevent passing the parasite on to a new fish.
Remember, do not treat your betta with medication for an illness you are not completely sure of. If you are not sure if their symptoms match a particular illness, investigate further.
Additional Procedures
Added aeration may be beneficial for your betta while treating with medication to provide them with more oxygen.
Clean water is always important for a betta, but is especially beneficial for any betta facing an illness. You may find it helpful to change your betta’s water more frequently while you are treating with any medication.
Always keeping your betta warm, between 76-82 degrees F, will also help them to feel more comfortable and raise their immune system.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Very good info, Romad.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #7 
AlexXx

Hopefully you can save her!

I would also maybe inform the store you got her from (since i know she was living in a community tank) that she has parasites, its likely most of the other ones would too.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote