Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #1 
Mitra

My second betta is acting much different in his new home

Hi I bought my first betta fish 3 months ago and he was in a 3 gallon heated and eventually cycled tank. I moved him to a 10 gallon tank with two ADF's and my betta is doing well swimming all over the place, very active since I got him.

My girlfriend really wanted a yellow betta that we saw at the store so we bought him for the 3 gallon tank which was no longer cycled (cycle in progress again from decor in my old tank). He has been sitting on his betta hammock for almost 3 days straight and barely swims anywhere. The only times he swims is when he seems freaked out by something and he starts shooting his body around. He'll start swimming for 15 secondss and skim against something and dart into a random direction all freaked out so he just goes back on his hammock for hours. The tank is at 76 degrees (im buying a 25 watt theo heater to bring it to 80 like my other tank is at) but he should still be active at 76. He also won't eat anything, i even saved him the juiciest reddest thawed blood worm and he chewed it for a couple seconds and spat it out. The bloodworm was less red after it came out so did he just suck the juices out? ANyways is this behavior normal, should I just wait to feed him until he eats the flakes/pellets i have or continue to feed him a couple blood worms till he warms up to his tank? Thank you.
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

It sounds like he's stressed in his new home.
Do you have *lots* of plants in there? It could be that he's feeling exposed and nervous about having quite a lot more room than he's ever had before. Lots and lots of plants will *really* help him to feel better, especially plants at the surface. You can put silk plants in upside down (so the bases are actually hanging out of the tank, with the leaves coming from the surface down) so that they float a bit better at the surface, that seems to help my nervous guys the most. By having the surface of their water "covered" they can stop worrying about incoming predators and do more exploration. It looks a little funny, but hopefully he'll settle in and then you can put them in more traditionally later. ;)

As for the food, I've read that it's normal for them to refuse food for 10 to 14 days at first, just because they are getting used to their new environment. What sort of food are you giving? New Life Spectrum has garlic in it, so they will usually eat that pretty readily. :) I've never had any luck with flakes, and my guys don't like the Omega brand (though I know it's high quality)...and if he get's spoiled on blood worms, it can be a fight to switch him over to "real" food later. I'd say give him NLS and he'll eventually eat. :) Also, he may be eating off the bottom. I had one guy who only ate off the "floor" for the first several months. :)

What sort of betta is he? I've got a double tail and an elephant ear who both had some problems swimming when they were first introduced into the new tank. It just took them some time to build up their muscles...and the EE *still* tends to stay at the surface and hide. The poor creature...had I known that the EE's had such trouble I never would have purchased and supported such a detrimental breed subset. :( But, anyway. ;)

Hope that helps at least a little bit! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #3 
Mitra

I believe he is a Veil Tail just like my other one. I have 2 live plants that are small and one decent sized green/purple one in my 3 gallon. That is a great idea with the Silk plant as i've really been wanting floating plants in my 10 gallon and my Silk plant has lots of leave to hide. Good thing I didn't have another 10 gallon for this new fish as that would be a lot of wasted space (my first betta is so happy with it though)

Actually I just happen to have that NLS food on the way from Ebay. Stuff always takes 3-4 weeks to reach me though so prob going to be another 2 weeks :(. My other betta had no problem eating the Nutrafin flakes since I got him, but I will be replacing his primary food with the NLS. So the only pellets I have atm are the awful HBH betta pellets, I only bought them for a source of ammonia. My new yellow betta wont touch those either though. I will make sure I don't give him any bloodworms tomorrow and he will eventually be hungry enough to eat the pellets i guess (although I will feel bad).

That is crazy I have never heard of elephant ear betta's . Poor fish already have enough fin to weight them down without extra ones on their sides!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Uhm. Yeah, those pellets are pretty awful. Are the blood worms fresh frozen? I'd say that those probably are better than the HBH pellets...which are just mostly fillers. Hm, that's a dilemma. ;) Maybe someone else on here can give you some more information on that point. Sorry, I'm not much help there! :)

I love the VT's, they seem to have the least trouble acclimating to having more space. :) Anyway, maybe he'll start eating better once he gets adjusted to his new home. :) Good luck to you!!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #5 
Mitra

Yeah again today he won't touch the flakes or pellets. Anyone know if I should just wait it out or feed him frozen blood worms/frozen brine shrimp? It's the only food he will put in his mouth and I don't want him to starve.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #6 
Mitra

Both the bloodworms and brine shrimp are San Fransisco bay brand as that is all my pet store has. Both of these he just puts in his mouth for a couple seconds, chews and spits out. It's been 5 days so hopefully after some more he will eat finally :/ . He's starting to swim more now, I think you were right his muscles weren't as developed as he has a pretty small body.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #7 
marshallsea

'Skimming' is a sign of ammonia poisoning.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote