Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #1 
shannonpwns

What can I do to get him to eat?

I've had this betta for 2 weeks now and he has yet to eat any pellets, and only eats 2-3 bloodworms....I'm at a loss as to what to do for him. How can I get him to eat pellets? I always offer him pellets before I give him bloodworms, but he won't eat them. Sometimes he will take it in his mouth, but spits it right out. He has not eaten one pellet ever.

The guy I got him from said he fed his bettas bloodworms and then pleccocain after he jarred them. Should I just get pleccocain? I've never heard of that, nor have I ever seen it...
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #2 
coreyh

Well I would stop feeding blood worms. Bettas are very intelligent and he probably knows that he'll get the blood worms so of course he doesn't want the pellets. (It's like trying to eat tofu when you know you'll get steak in ten minutes)

If he's never really had pellets before, you could try soaking them in garlic juice to make them a little more appealing.
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #3 
blufish425

I have a girl that wont eat them unless they are crushed, the pellets are just too big otherwise I think.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #4 
shannonpwns

He barely eats the bloodworms either though. I offer him food twice or more per day, and I'm lucky if he eats 2-3 BWs every other day. I can't just watch him commit suicide lol, so I started looking up plecocaine, and found it is sold by someone on AB, so I just ordered some. Hopefully it gets here fast...but I still want to get him onto pellets, so thank you for your suggestion, I will try the garlic and also crushing them. Why didnt I think of that? Lol. Probably because he's not small, so I didn't even think to crush them lol.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote