Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #1 
FishCat13

Is Oberon a Marble?

Got Oberon from Walmart and his fins are uncurling, he's very active, looking good! I just wondered about his coloring. His fins are light blue with some red, particularly a streak of red in his caudal fin and his ventrals are mostly red. He doesn't want to flare much, but I think those fins in his gills are red as well. His head has rust-patches, but I'm not sure if any of that might be ammonia burn (I think he had some ammonia burns around his fins). He has some blue patches on his body, which seem to be darkening a little bit, but his body is mostly pale. Just wondering if anyone had seen a fish with this type of coloring before, or if you thought he might be a marble. I think he's definitely unique. And I'm sorry the pic is sideways, when I upload from my phone it does that no matter what I do...

Last edited by FishCat13; 08-27-2013 at 11:27 AM.
FishCat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

I think that color is called a "grizzle". Which I *think* is a subsect of marble. :)

Cute boy! I've got one very similiarly colored, also from WalMart (I always feel awful for them in those cups, particularly at walmart...it's just so pitiful to see them shoved in there with the dog food and the cat litter...I know I shouldn't support them, but I can't turn down those pitiful little faces...), once he's totally healthy and he spreads his fins, you'll be very pleasantly surprised. :)

Last edited by Blue Fish; 08-27-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #3 
FishCat13

Thanks Blue Fish! I can't wait to see how he turns out once he's healthy and filled out. I usually don't buy from Walmart, but he was just calling out to me. He has the cutest grumpy face :D As soon as we left the store he started swimming around his cup (and he barely moved in the store) I felt like I was breaking him out of prison! He's now in a 10-gallon divided tank, and he OWNS his half. His fins were all curled when I got him, but since then the only ones still really curled are his ventrals and dorsal. I think he's going to be quite the looker!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

Here are some pics of my guy, he's been home from the dreaded big box store for about two months...maybe slightly less?

Sorry for all the foliage in the way...He's in there and he's not coming out, lol! I'll try to get better pictures later when he's back to arguing with his tank mate, Roslyn. ;)

Last edited by Blue Fish; 08-27-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #5 
FishCat13

Wow! They really do look similar! I wonder if our Walmarts get fish from the same breeder or something? I see you're in eastern Tennessee, I'm in western North Carolina... Maybe they're long-lost brothers or cousins or something!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #6 
Blue Fish

LOL, I wondered about that. :) We're not all that far apart mileage wise, and I could easily bet that they're coming from the same breeders for the south-east. :)