Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #1 
blufish425
Member
 
blufish425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montana
"Conditioning" for divided tank...?

So each of my boys are currently in their own 3 gallon tanks. I want to upgrade to a 10gal divided, that is planted. Currently they are next to each other but there is a folder sitting between the tanks because I didn't want them all worked up. I am very nervous to put them in a divided tank because I know some people here have horror stories. Im thinking I will remove the folder so they can see each other for the next week or so until the tank is set up. Do you think this will help? Anything else I can do to ensure everything goes smoothly?
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #2 
shannonpwns
Member
 
shannonpwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Simi Valley, California
What are you going to divide the tank with? We're you going to make your own? You could use darker color craft mesh if that's what you were gonna use, and then heavily plant on each side by the divider, so that it hides the view they may have of each other.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #3 
blufish425
Member
 
blufish425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
What are you going to divide the tank with? We're you going to make your own? You could use darker color craft mesh if that's what you were gonna use, and then heavily plant on each side by the divider, so that it hides the view they may have of each other.

Yes, I saw a DIY divider on this site and I bought the supplies to make it. They will still see each other occasionally though so I wanted them to be used to each other, at least a little.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #4 
BettaLover1313
Member
 
BettaLover1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Illinois, USA
It really depends on the individual betta. For instance, I couldn't have put another aggressive male with Merlin since I know Merlin would have flared constantly, so I bought a calmer betta (Dragoon), and though there was some intial flaring from Merlin while Dragoon was in a 1 gallon QT tank next to his tank, Dragoon didn't flare back except for a few occassions, but Merlin eventually settled down and now they're in a divided tank (divider is craft mesh-doubled).
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
Depending on the dimensions of your 3g tanks, putting them into a divided 10g may not be much of an upgrade. While they'll eachhave more water, they may not have much more floor space which is really more important. There are disadvantages to a divided tank to consider.
---disease spreading
---defeating the divider
---unequal filter flow and heating
I'm sure iothers can think of more.

As long as you already have two filters and heaters, you can save some money and potential grief by cycling those tanks and keeping them that way.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #6 
Blue Fish
Member
 
Blue Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
I +1 Halyx. :)
Disease passing back and forth is a *real* pain in the rear.

On another note though, I've had 10 bettas over the last couple of years, all have lived in divided 20g tanks, and no-one has ever been injured. I have had a couple of escapes, but that was my fault. One I filled the water too high and they were able to cross the divider, and another they divider had a small gap on one side and they pushed through it. But, careful application of a proper divider, and I've never had a problem. :)

As for the excessive flaring, my guys seem happier when able to see one another. They'll usually flare a bit at first, but then settle down, and one pair in particular seems to enjoy flaring at one another occasionally. I think it gives them something to do. :) But the same thing could be accomplished by putting two smaller tanks next to one another. :)

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you wanted to move them? :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #7 
blufish425
Member
 
blufish425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
I +1 Halyx. :)
Disease passing back and forth is a *real* pain in the rear.

On another note though, I've had 10 bettas over the last couple of years, all have lived in divided 20g tanks, and no-one has ever been injured. I have had a couple of escapes, but that was my fault. One I filled the water too high and they were able to cross the divider, and another they divider had a small gap on one side and they pushed through it. But, careful application of a proper divider, and I've never had a problem. :)

As for the excessive flaring, my guys seem happier when able to see one another. They'll usually flare a bit at first, but then settle down, and one pair in particular seems to enjoy flaring at one another occasionally. I think it gives them something to do. :) But the same thing could be accomplished by putting two smaller tanks next to one another. :)

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you wanted to move them? :)
I have 4 bettas in 4 tanks, 2 boys and 2 girls. I wanted to get them each into a divided tank to bring down my maintenance. Taking care of 4 small tanks is a lot of work. 3 water changes a week each times 4 tanks = 12 water changes per week for me. There are also tanks all over my house. I feel like the crazy fish lady, I'm just trying to condense my hobby a little.

I set up my 10 gallon divided today. Nobody is in it yet, but it is planted, and filtered, and I'm very happy with the looks of it. One of my boys is not looking so good, and is in a QT tank for the time being, so for now at least it will house just my one guy.

Also, my 3 gallons were round tanks, so there is still more floor space in the divided 10 :)
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #8 
Blue Fish
Member
 
Blue Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufish425 View Post
I have 4 bettas in 4 tanks, 2 boys and 2 girls. I wanted to get them each into a divided tank to bring down my maintenance. Taking care of 4 small tanks is a lot of work. 3 water changes a week each times 4 tanks = 12 water changes per week for me. There are also tanks all over my house. I feel like the crazy fish lady, I'm just trying to condense my hobby a little.

I set up my 10 gallon divided today. Nobody is in it yet, but it is planted, and filtered, and I'm very happy with the looks of it. One of my boys is not looking so good, and is in a QT tank for the time being, so for now at least it will house just my one guy.

Also, my 3 gallons were round tanks, so there is still more floor space in the divided 10 :)
Yup, that's exactly how I got into the divided tanks. :) It really does cut down on maintenance and space, especially once you cycle them all. :) The disease back and forth usually just means you treat two instead of one, but as long as you're careful about QT's, it's not too bad. They live in a closed system, so other than things brought on by their environment (like dropsy, fin rot, parasite upsurges, things of that nature), they really aren't getting exposed to anything you're not bringing in. :)

I love my divided tanks because it means the boys *can* see one another. Whenever I've had one had to go out for treatment or finally die of old age, the remaining boys would very often seem quite depressed and unhappy at being all alone until their mate either comes back, or someone new moves in. :)
In addition to using the black craft mesh, you can also hot glue silk leaves to the divider, this will greatly cut down on the flaring since they won't be able to see one another. :)

Best of luck to you! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my betta's tank "yay" or "nay"? pinkcupid765 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 22 11-16-2011 09:50 PM
My bettas in their new divided "condo". adamxaotmic Betta Pictures 7 09-08-2011 11:03 AM
Is conditioning breeders "required"? Dead Sunlight Breeding Betta Fish 4 07-01-2010 10:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.