Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #1 
jul

Starting my new betta tank and composition

Hello, I am also new in the sport, but I hope to get to know you in time.

Recently a friend of mine bought me a 48 liters aquarium, with a back biological filter (has four sponges, one pack of carbon and another with ceramic material), circulator 600 liters per hour, and lightening PL 9.000 Kelvin, 11 watt PL lamp.

So I added some gravel, a piece of wood where I attached an anubia nana (has a small snail on one of the leaves), I added this potion that cleanses the water and live bacteria (there goes the whole bottle it was up to 60 liters). From the pet store they told me to wait a week before adding any fish.
(I also knew that but though that with the bacteria blend I could do faster).

I intend to add a betta, some pigmy cories and the questions is what else?

neon tetras or white minions would do? ( a small pack of 5-6?), later on some ghost shrimps or would it get too crowded?

Also about plants I was considering another driftwood and some kind of moss.

How does it sound?

Oh also i removed the carbon from the back filter (should i add it or use only the ceramic material and sponges?)

Last edited by jul; 08-27-2013 at 04:11 AM.
jul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sounds like a good setup. You'll want a heater (50W) and a thermometer to make sure the temperature stay around 78*/80* An adjustable heater is best.

A 9000K light is a little high (saltwater likes that). 6500K is what most of us use for freshwater plants. Get some more Anubias and let it float. Your fish will love it for hiding and sleeping. Java moss is great to have in your tank. Mossballs are fun. Java ferns are easy. Floating plants like Wisteria, Frogbit, Water sprite or Duckweed help shade the fish and suck up ammonia.

Right. You won't need carbon in your filter.

A Betta and a few Corys are all you'll want in a 48l (12g) tank. In fact, Cory's like to be in a school of 6 or more. That's already a little much for a 48l.

Get a freshwater test kit ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377604763&sr=8-1&keywords=API+test+kit"]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame] for ~$20 at Amazon) and see what your water conditions are. Read the stickies about cycling. Your tank may be ready for a fish right now.

Seachem Prime water conditioner is highly recommended around here.

Good luck with your setup and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-27-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #3 
jul

Quote:
Sounds like a good setup. You'll want a heater (50W) and a thermometer to make sure the temperature stay around 78*/80* An adjustable heater is best.
Yes you are right, haven't got one, but I am gazing at the internet to see prices and that kind of stuff. I was kind of wondering, does it stop if it reaches a temperature above the desired one, or has to be watched? (never had one before).

Quote:
A 9000K light is a little high (saltwater likes that). 6500K is what most of us use for freshwater plants.
I am going to check if the plants that you suggested are okey with the lightening I already have.

Quote:
Get some more Anubias and let it float. Your fish will love it for hiding and sleeping. Java moss is great to have in your tank. Mossballs are fun. Java ferns are easy. Floating plants like Wisteria, Frogbit, Water sprite or Duckweed help shade the fish and suck up ammonia.
these are great ideas, I especially like mossballs (haha does it grow?)...

When you say float, you literally mean float?

Quote:
A Betta and a few Corys are all you'll want in a 48l (12g) tank. In fact, Cory's like to be in a school of 6 or more. That's already a little much for a 48l.
Yes, I am actually thinking that I going to skip tetras or other small fishes. you are probably right and I think that cories will cover the bottom and middle area fine so that the nano does not feel vacant. I am in for shrimps as well, and hopefully the betta wont take them for a snack.

Quote:
Get a freshwater test kit ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377604763&sr=8-1&keywords=API+test+kit"]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame] for ~$20 at Amazon) and see what your water conditions are. Read the stickies about cycling. Your tank may be ready for a fish right now.
I added the bacteria yesterday evening, so it's very fresh, thanks for the Api suggestion, I am going to ask the local pet around here. I am thinking to test either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow and then check another day or two to see if the cycle has been stabilized.

Quote:
Good luck with your setup and welcome to the forum.
thank you, it's good to feel part of the forum. Very nice information and tones of things to read and to learn. Once is set up with fish I shall post you photos.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Get a quality adjustable thermometer. They turn themselves off when the right temperature is reached.

Anubias will float with the leaves just below the water surface and the roots hanging down. As long as you don’t have too much light, they grow great like that.

Mossballs grow very very slowly. But they’re fun to have.

You don’t want to wait too long before adding your fish. The bacteria need ammonia to grow. That’s what your fish provide. Stock your tank as soon as you get your test kit.

Yes. Be sure to post pictures. We all love pics.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #5 
jul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Get a quality adjustable thermometer. They turn themselves off when the right temperature is reached.

Anubias will float with the leaves just below the water surface and the roots hanging down. As long as you donít have too much light, they grow great like that.

Mossballs grow very very slowly. But theyíre fun to have.

You donít want to wait too long before adding your fish. The bacteria need ammonia to grow. Thatís what your fish provide. Stock your tank as soon as you get your test kit.

Yes. Be sure to post pictures. We all love pics.
I see then I am on the way there..to get the test and a thermometer, haha, I thought I had to wait more (got confused with cycling the water)...is this considered then a cycle with fishes?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Yes. You'll be doing a fish-in cycle. You can probably put all your fish in at one time. But test the water daily for ammonia. Change half the water if the ammonia gets up to 0.25ppm. (You'll see when you get your teat kit.) Also test for nitrite. Same deal, change water if over 0.25ppm. Use Prime water conditi0ner with each water change---2-drops per gallon of tank size.