Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #1 
coreyh

Danger of Omega One pellets

When I ran out of NLS, I decided to try the omega one betta buffet pellets since I could just get them from my local pet store.

I brought the container home and immediately gave each of then 2 betta's 3-4 pellets apiece. My larger male took them easily, but unfortunately, my yellow and black boy that was still extremely small managed to get one of the pellets stuck in his mouth, and since I hadn't watched them eat, I didn't even know he was in trouble until the poor thing passed away.

I then bough two more bettas, both extremely large in comparison to my all yellow veiltail. I thought for sure they'd both take the food in stride. So I gave them the pellets the first day, and they were fine. It wasn't until their third meal that I noticed my royal blue HM manged to get a pellet stuck in his mouth. Now, I'm having awful flashbacks and freaking out, crying as I gently net the little guy and use a pair of tweezers to remove the pellet.

Suffice to say, they are all back on NLS

Has anyone else had similar experiences or was my container just a fluke?
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #2 
blufish425

I feed Omega one and I did notice one of my boys seemed to be choking on one recently.... I crush them for my girls otherwise the girls wont eat them...perhaps I should start doing this for my boys. It never crossed my mind that they could choke on it. I unfortunately cant get NLS locally so I will have to make do.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

The only way fish can "choke" is if there is an obstruction that blocks the flow of water over the gills. I feed multiple sized pellets in the same tank (1 mm, 2 mm and 3 mm) so there is the chance of a fish going after food that is too large. Well it's more than a chance as it happens regularly. Never lost a fish to fish food.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #4 
Seki

I agree, not all of my fish can easily chew Omega One, but it's never a choking hazard. They'll hold it in their mouths for a little bit, and when they figure out they just can't chew it, they'll spit it out. I've seen fish get food sort of "stuck" in their mouths, but it's true, they can't really choke on it.

If you are concerned, you can always crush the Omega One up for them. It's a great food, I swear by it. Always perks my new bettas right up and makes their colors really come out! NLS, by comparison, is rejected by some of my guys and girls. They seem to not like the taste lol. I still feed it, but I do have a couple picky eaters.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

I've never had a fish turn down NLS. Even wild caught fish that aren't supposed to eat processed foods, like african butterflies, love NLS. Perhaps that's because it's the only food they get...
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #6 
Blue Fish

I've only tried the Omega flakes, but my guys won't touch them. On the other hand, they will go nuts for NLS. I've never had anybody who wasn't sick, refuse them. Even the new guys when they're still adjusting and timid will go for the NLS.

My LFS also rec's them as being the most complete nutrionally on the market. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Omega, but I personally like the NLS. Plus, the garlic in it can help as a natural dewormer/antiparasitic, which I'm all for since my guys are rescues from local pet stores and I'm sure carry at least some parasite load.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #7 
SalsaMom

One time years ago I had a Black Moor goldfish get a piece of aquarium gravel get stuck in its mouth - he was freaking out a bit and after watching him for some time - it wasn't coming out on its own.
Of course this was a Friday evening at about 8pm. I called a local chain pet store (it was all that was open).
Wound up catching the fish and taking it to the store, lucky they had a really good 'fish guy' there.
He took some kind of dull curved tweezer things and was able to get the gravel gently out.
I took the happy fish hope and he was fine (and never poked around in the gravel again either).

Animals can get into the weirdest situations.
SalsaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #8 
OrangeAugust

That's weird. I've been feeding all my bettas (including females) Onega One pellets and they don't have any problems. occasionally one would be too big and they will just spit it out. They are a lot smaller than the Wardleys I used to feed them.
Even my zebra danios and neon tetras in the community tank will steal the omega one pellets from my bettas and eat them without a problem.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #9 
Namialus

I don't use Omega pellets or NLS ones (foolish me) but I always always always soak the pellets in a little water before feeding my betta. It makes it softer and easier for them to eat.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote