Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #1 
Tristitreat

Unhappy Help! My betta has lost almost all of his tail.

What a LONG journey my betta and I have been on since I decided to give him a 10 gallon tank. Ugh! So it was a classic case of "haste makes waste". I put him in the new tank from his 5 gallon tank too soon without checking the water levels etc.. After a few hours he started acting lethargic and seemed to be laying in bottom of tank without any movement. I quickly went to pet store and bought a kit to check water. It was WAY off. Had to use PH up and down until finally it improved. He was a little better but then went downhill quick. He then got stuck in filter. I thankfully was home and watching him so I saved him. I felt the tank and swore the water temp was too cold even though the chick at the pet store told me I didn't need a water heater since I lived in Florida. She was wrong!!! I bought thermometer and heater. It was too cold indeed. I prayed and prayed and prayed for him to survive. After a while he got his spunk back!! Started darting around, playing etc....BUT when I got home from work his tail was all tore up and shredding off as he swam. At this point he barely has a tail left!!!. I put some betta revive in the water (glad I had some on hand) and just keep watching him. Is there anything else I can do? And what caused this??? Wow have I learned some lessons the hard way. Thank GOD my baby made it. I feel awful putting him through this!!!
Tristitreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #2 
shannonpwns

He probably bit his tail off due to stress. Possibly from the ph going up and down so much. What was the ph before you used the ph +/-? Do you know what the ph was in his 5 gal tank? And what is the ph at now?

My tap water ph is really super high, like 8.0, and it's never bothered my bettas at all. A stable ph is better than a fluctuating ph IMO. If he was already used to your waters ph, then there shouldn't be a problem with keeping him at that same ph.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#bettastailisshredding