Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #211 
BettaLover1313

This funny moment of the day is provided by Ajax's Mortuary-"You Bag'em, We Tag'em!"

AOW666-"So what do you need help with?"
BE1313-*holds up filter that came with the 5.5 gallon* "This THING! I don't understand how it's supposed to go in?"
AOW666-*looks at briefly* "I know how it goes in."
BE1313- "Really?!"
AOW666- "Yeah!" *puts filter in*
BE1313- "You mean to tell me it was that frickin' easy?!!!"
AOW666- "Yep!"
BE1313- *glares at cupped Dragoon* "I blame you!"
Dragoon- "Any time you want to let me out of this cup!"

Yeah, that's a nice sum up of what happened a few minutes ago . So the new filer is in, however, I will have to baffle both the intake and the water flow *thinks about how to do both*. I really need to look that up in the DIY threads!

Since I had a stroke of luck yesterday with my scratch off lottery tickets, I got to purchase a gravel vacuum (finally!!!) and a bucket (Dollar Tree) for my tank & to make tank cleaning easier, so I will probably do that tomorrow. AOW666 and I got back pretty late (at least for me since I work in a couple hours) so no full tank cleaning today. I'll try out my gravel vacuum tomorrow and see how it works .

I've decided to try and train Dragoon to LIKE his cup. Every time I cup him he shall receive some bloodworm treats. I'm hoping that, over time, he will associate his cup with bloodworms and want to go in it. I'm also starting to wonder about how good his eyesight is. His eyes don't look the same as when I first bought him (they seem a bit hazy ). Yet, he still seems to see things, so maybe I'm just paranoid!

Merlin is his usual grumpy self, and he received a bloodworm today as well just because he had to put up with the movement of the water as AOW666 and I worked on checking how the filter worked and making sure that things were as they should be.

Otherwise Lucky and Renji are doing good; Lucky currently asleep in the recliner and the cat sunning himself in the window!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #212 
BettaLover1313

I currently, really truly hate this filter! I baffled it with a sponge, and the thing's flow is STILL TOO STRONG *shoots lightning bolt lasers from eyes at the annoying Topfin Power Filter 10*. If someone recommends a better filter in my forum thread that I can find at PetSmart I'm getting it! This other thing is ridiculous! It's meant to filter tanks for sharks not little bettas!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #213 
BettaLover1313

Okay! I'm calmer now that I spent time AWAY from my filter lol!

Anywho! I got some suggestions from a different thread on how to put the sponge, so I shall try that tomorrow.

Today I mainly fiddle-farted with the filter. Tried training Dragoon a bit more. I THINK it's working. He's been calmer with my hands, at least, going into the tank. Both Merlin & Dragoon didn't get dinner tonight since I gave them too many bloodworms I meant to give each one-one more, and they all just fell into the water (ones in my hand, not the jar). So yeah, no dinner for the boys, I don't need constipated bettas.

I went to ride Zip for 10 minutes to see if he'd be able to go on the 6 hour trail ride tomorrow, but unfortunately, Zip isn't well enough for it, and there are no other horses on the lot that would take care of me like he does, so no ride for me tomorrow . Kind of sad, kind of not. I mean, I would have loved to go on the ride, but I don't want it to be at Zip's expense. Tomorrow, I may go shopping for the college stuff that I still need including printer ink, printer paper, bed sheets (Lucky destroyed mine), and some other things, like pens, paper, bowls, paper plates, etc.

I think Dragoon is getting the dragon scaling over his eyes, or the starts of it. What's coming over his eyes is the same color, and not white or gray, so I think he's just slowly going blind . Wish I knew how common this was in DSs since I think I'd like to get more PKs in the future, but the only PKs at PetSmart are DSs, so I'd just like to know for future reference so I know if I should expect it with all DSs or just know it's a certain percentage, or whatnot!

Well, that's all for today's update. I shall try and get pictures of both Merlin & Dragoon tomorrow!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #214 
BettaLover1313

Been a busy day today! Got most of the things I need for my dorm at college (need to get another power strip though, which I forgot >.<), and finally finished baffling the newish filter!

Lucky's been on a "torment the kitty" thing today. I know he just wants to play, but he's pouncing on the poor cat an scaring the crap out of him; which is not accepted behavior, but he's having issues understanding that . Renji is being extremely tolerant, but we're both waiting for him to lose his patience and swat the dog.

AOW666 dropped by with another sponge for me (thank you!) and saved the day since the intake was still too strong for Dragoon. I'm pretty certain that we got it under control now, so hopefully I can actually have the filter run all day and night without worrying about too strong a current or pull.

Also, gravel vacuum where have you been all my fish owning life ! It was so easy to do a 50% water change and to actually get the fish poop off the gravel without having to wait for a 100% water change!!! Best thing ever!

Got to see the owner of the horses today, who took my mom and I out to dinner. I learned that the ride went well apart from Eljay throwing a few bucking fits, but no one was thrown off, so that's a good ride! I even got a surprise early birthday gift from him (picture is below).

And now for the promised pictures! Enjoy

New filter that's been baffled to death (but apparently not enough since I just checked on Dragoon and saw him struggling underneath it where, of course, the sponge isn't at . I'll turn it off for now and fix that tomorrow.

"I don't know what you did, and I dont' really care."

"I'm not happy with you. Not at all!"

"Oh! Oh! He's not happy! Tell me why he's not happy! I want to know! Maybe I can do it more often?"

"I'm not happy with you not at..." *flash* "Oh sure, make me go blind faster! Just keep it up! You're not my favorite person today, not at all!"

"Oh! So it was the camera! Mwahahahaha! Can I borrow that?" (seriously, it looks like he's grinning)

"What did you just say?!"

"Just so you know, I now hate both of you..."
Merlin: *cackles* "FINALLY! Now come and flare at me little fish!!!"
BL1313: "NO! Merlin you already have some pin holes in your tail and anal fin! Don't blow them out anymore!!!"
Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #215 
Huffle Puffles

omg, LMAO, those captions were hilarious! Especially when Merlin wants to know what happened to make Dragoon unhappy, It looks like he's prancing all happy over to the tank to gossip. I cracked up right there.
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #216 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffle Puffles View Post
omg, LMAO, those captions were hilarious! Especially when Merlin wants to know what happened to make Dragoon unhappy, It looks like he's prancing all happy over to the tank to gossip. I cracked up right there.
I couldn't resist! He seemed so happy that I just had to do that. Poor Dragoon was pooped out though, not really grumpy, just tired, but it fit so well!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #217 
BettaLover1313

Okay, I THINK I finally solved the issue with the intake part of the filter by putting a second sponge to cover the bottom part. There is still a little bit of pull, but nothing like before, and I don't think Dragoon will be expending as much energy as he was yesterday fighting against the pull.

Tomorrow I intend to get him a betta log. His leaf hammock just isn't sticking to the side of the tank anymore, and instead of buying another hammock, I'll just get him another hidey-hole type toy, since he does love hiding! (Currently going behind his filter and then coming out when I wonder where he is.)

Merlin is still healing, I don't see his pin hole tears today, so I'm hoping that either they were there before and had already started healing, or that the lighting of the tank made it seem like there were holes.

I can't believe I only have two days of work left (today and tomorrow) and that I go back to college in 4 days! Where did the time go? So Merlin and Dragoon will be coming with me to college, traveling in their 1 gallon Critter Carriers. Poor Lucky and Renji can't come with me though (not that Mom would let me take the cat lol) but Lucky is going to be a bit lost without me here, but hopefully he won't get depressed, or thinking that I abandoned him .

Anyway, just hoping move in day goes well for me and the betta boys, I shall be updating from college as well, but it might not be every day like it has been, but we'll see!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #218 
BettaLover1313

I just noticed that I didn't show you guys the surprise gift from the owner of the horses, so here it is:

Nifty, huh? This is made from horseshoes, couple different pieces of metal, and wire

Today has been a long, hot day! Last day of work was okay, but I had to do a lot, even though we had more people there then we usually do, but, honestly, they helped, but didn't, know what I mean? I ended up doing more today than I've ever had to do on stocking day! I didn't mind though, it's my last day, so no biggie!

Dragoon likes his new floating log, though I did notice today that his left fin has some red on it, but I think I'm just noticing it because I rarely see his left side. Usually he shows me his right side and front, and very briefly his left, so I probably never noticed. Plus, like I've said earlier, the Omega One pellets have really brought out their colors, so I think he might naturally have some red in his fins.

Got the power strip I needed as well, so happy about that, and new sneakers to replace the ones Lucky chewed.

I know Merlin and Dragoon aren't going to be happy tomorrow since they'll be moving into their 1 gallon Critter Carriers in preparatin for Thursday. They will have the full gallon for the day, and then on Thursday morning, I will lower it to half. Only thing that bothers me is this heat wave and trying to keep their water from getting too hot and too cold (with the air on in my car). So that'll be interesting, even in the dorm, since we don't have any AC. I plan to get them into the dorm first, move in my stuff and then get their tank set up so that they will be back in their tank with more water that should stay at the proper temperature. A little warmer won't hurt, but I don't want it to get too hot.

All from me today, might not post tomorrow since I have to do a lot of things (including pack) the same goes for the next several days since I'll be moving in and then helping others move in (why I get to go in early). I will update on the boys though when I get the chance, don't worry!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #219 
BettaLover1313

Funny Moment of the Morning:

Merlin: *spots BE1313 packing* OH NO!!!
Dragoon: *turns to Merlin* What?
Merlin: It's happening!
Dragoon: What's happening?!
Merlin: *finally turns to Dragoon* We're going back in the car!
Dragoon: Not the car!
Merlin: Yes, the car.
Dragoon: Where are we going?
Merlin: To the place where a people come in and out of a room, we get to watch BE1313 most of the time, and this one person comes to the tank and makes faces at us.
Dragoon:

So I've almost finished packing for my trip up to my college dorm room tomorrow. Also, just about finished loading all the songs I want onto my new MP3 player (several hours later). I've got the aquarium and Merlin & Dragoon's decorations sitting out to dry (at least a bit) before I pack them away for travel. Merlin & Dragoon are not happy since they're in their one gallon tanks, with no substrate or decorations . I feel bad about that, but their stuff does need to dry out before I pack it away, and they can't really have stuff in their one gallons anyway, since I don't want them getting hurt if I stop suddenly or hit a really bumpy patch of road.

Going to my grandparents tonight for pizza after I see the horses one last time before I head up (probably the last time I'll see Zip since the owner wants to sell him ). So that will be fun.

Been a sleepy day for Lucky and Renji, both of them have been sleeping all day. Probably means they'll be active later tonight.

One last funny moment for everyone before:

Merlin: I don't want to be in this tiny thing!!!
Dragoon: Oh thank God I'm out of that cup!
Merlin: *glares* Seriously? You're happy that we just got downgraded?
Dragoon: ANYTHING is better than the cup!
Merlin *shun*
Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #220 
Huffle Puffles

LOL *Shun*. Fussy Merlin! Hope you and the boys have a safe trip! :)
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote