Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #1 
brittany4444

Question Only Frozen Brine Shrimp?

My very small female betta will eat only frozen brine shrimp. When I first brought her home she refused to eat anything for five days and then finally settled on the FBS. Is this a healthy diet for her? I have tried 3 different kinds of pellets (Wardlys, Hikari Micro, and Omega One). I have crushed them and soaked them in garlic but she still refuses. She is very skinny so I am afraid to fast her for long. I have fasted her for 3 days but she still wont eat the pellets. Any advice?
brittany4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #2 
sainthogan

No, feeding only brine shrimp is like feeding only candy flavored laxatives to a child.
The best way to get her to eat is to fast her for a few more days, then try to feed her a healthier food. If she still won't eat it, fast her for a few more days. Eventually, she will get hungry enough to eat what's good for her.
Don't worry, healthy Betta fish can go 2 weeks (sometimes more) without food - if she knows that you will feed her her candy, she won't eat the other stuff, so don't do it even if she looks at you with the pitiful begging looks.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Adult brine shrimp is pretty nutritionally empty unless it has vitamins etc. added to it.

Are you sure she doesn't have internal parasites? This can cause emaciation and poor appetite. It may be worth doing a quick treatment just to make sure.

Otherwise, really the only thing you can do is persist with the food that you want her to be on. Eventually she should take dried foods willingly.

I will say, my goldfish would not touch Hikari branded food when I bought a packet of it to tide them over, and Wardleys is very low quality.

Something like NLS small fish formula may be worth a shot as the pellets are only .5mm and if she is having any difficulty eating they will be easier to get down.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #4 
brittany4444

I dont think she has parasites. I havent seen any other symptoms of them but how would I treat for them? I will probably buy the NLS and try it with her.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I think there is a brand called Jungle Parasite Clear that is available in America (just assuming this is your location based on the majority of members here) that a lot of people seem to use with success.

It can't hurt to treat her for internal parasites.

Otherwise, give NLS a go if you can find it. Even some of my fussy wild bettas will take it if offered.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #6 
brittany4444

Thank you!