Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #1 
sugarunicorn

Water questions - hard well water, water softener, etc.

I'm a bit conflicted on what the best way to do this is. I have well water that is *extremely * hard.. like, to the point that it leaves hard water stains on everything. We have a water softener attached to the bathroom faucets and tubs/showers. I use API Water Conditioner to treat any water that I use.

My tank currently only has plants, but I will be adding a betta in a few weeks and I was just wondering - should I be using and conditioning the well water, or the water softener? I've avoided the softened water thus far because I'm not sure how plants and fish might react to the chemicals used.

Would the tap water conditioner combat this? Should I just keep using the well water and avoid the softened?
sugarunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #2 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarunicorn View Post
Would the tap water conditioner combat this? Should I just keep using the well water and avoid the softened?
Generally tap water condistioner hove little or no affect on Alkalinity or water hardest. I would NOT use the softened water nothing good comes out of it. I would test the well water for carbonate and general hardest and work from there

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #3 
BatCakes

Hey, I have some personal experience with this one. We also have EXTREMELY hard water. Like, crazy hard. We have a water softener, and since I couldn't find any good resources about how it would affect my betta, I tentatively used it.

Bad idea. The day after my water change, I noticed strangle little bits of stuff on him, little white weird hard-looking things. He acted normally, swam normally, ate normally, but I quickly went out and bought some spring water for him instead, and after his water change they disappeared. I will note, that I did use water conditioner with the hard water, and it didn't seem to do anything.

What I've done since then you may not be able to do, but it's worked great for me all summer. My family has a cabin with an artesian well, so we have really clear fresh spring water. My dad brings me home a couple gallons of this water, that I let sit for awhile before I use, and I mix it 50% store bought spring water, 50% of my well water, and add water conditioner to it (just in case). The water has never stayed clearer, and my fish has never seemed happier!

Buying water can get expensive if you need to do it long term, so I would suggest if you can't afford it all the time, at least mix your water with some spring water? Hopefully other people will have suggestions for you!

Even if you have a friend nearby with better water, maybe ask if you can come over and fill some large jugs with water? (I think I usually get 2, 4 gallon jugs at a time).
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #4 
sugarunicorn

Our well water is actually spring fed with an artesian well also (we live in the Appalachian mountains), so hmm! Its really lovely clear, clean, delicious tasting water - its just full of minerals. I'm going to do some testing on it to see what the numbers look like I think.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #5 
sugarunicorn

Well, I just tested my aquarium water with the API freshwater test kit, and the pH looks to be around 7.4, going by the results from the regular pH and high range pH tests - not as bad as I thought. I know 7.0 is the sweet spot - the test kit suggests using API pH DOWN or API PROPER pH 7.0 -- are either of these worth looking into, or is there something better out there to lower it?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #6 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarunicorn View Post
I know 7.0 is the sweet spot - the test kit suggests using API pH DOWN or API PROPER pH 7.0 -- are either of these worth looking into, or is there something better out there to lower it?
No don't do that. Both just result in an unstable pH( pH Down) or algae problems(Proper pH) and 7.4 is not bad, pH will tend to drift down with time

Rick

Last edited by rickey; 08-28-2013 at 10:07 AM.
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #7 
percyfyshshelley

The water here where I live is super hard. Tastes good though! Ugh all those hard water stains. My pH is about 8.2. I have driftwood in some of my tanks and use Indian almond leaves to try to soften the water a bit naturally.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #8 
sugarunicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by percyfyshshelley View Post
The water here where I live is super hard. Tastes good though! Ugh all those hard water stains. My pH is about 8.2. I have driftwood in some of my tanks and use Indian almond leaves to try to soften the water a bit naturally.
ooh, that makes a little more sense then! I have a big piece of driftwood in the tank which is probably the reason the pH was lower than expected.