Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #1 
Torla

Tank conundrum

So the divider in my recently-purchased 5 gallon went kaput this evening (it was a Craigslist purchase so it's not refundable) and I had to run to PetSmart to get an emergency 2.5 gallon for my other betta. I could let him stay in that one, but compared to the 5 gallon, even divided, it seems like he has way less space now. Could just be a trick of the eye. Either way, it feels unfair somehow.

I'd really like to have my 5 gallon divided again, but I don't know how to go about it. I pretty much bought that tank solely because it was already divided for me. Poorly done, though. I don't want to get another 5 gallon for the other betta since I'm running out of space. How can I divide my 5 gallon safely and so the two can't see each other? They were able to see one another beforehand despite lots of silk plants on both sides and were constantly flaring and agitated.
Torla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #2 
Torla

For some reason, the edit button isn't popping up for me, so yeah, replying to my own thread. :P

I've made a discovery that I should have picked up on much, much sooner. The tank I thought was a 5 gallon is actually a 10 gallon, so yes, the 2.5 gallon is half the space of the divided tank. The same question still stands -- I need to divide the tank, but now it's 10 gallons.

Man, I feel dumb...
Old 08-29-2013, 01:56 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

you can make your own divider with craft mesh, report cover binders and aquarium sealant. I never seal my dividers in place though.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Here's a link:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

Using black craft mesh helps decrease visibility, and I've then taken silk plant leaves and hot glued them on, this will entirely take out visbility and probably stop the flaring. They'll still be able to "sense" or smell...or something...one another, but only the very, very determined will continue to flare. :)

I hope this helps!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #5 
Torla

Wow, that's a REALLY good link. Thank you! I did buy a divider from Amazon before I saw this, so I'll give that a go first. But if it doesn't work, I'll return it and try the DIY method. :)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #6 
JamieL

In my 10 gallon I got a piece of acrylic from Home Depot for $4, cut it to fit, drilled holes and sprayed it solid with krylon fusion paint. I ended up scrapping the divider and just getting a new tank for the second fish, but it fit perfectly and looked neat.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote