Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #21 
Canis

I have one rat at the moment. I used to have two, but one had to be put down due to a very large tumor in her stomach. The first one, the one who was put down, was noticeably different in the way she interacted with people and objects after getting the new baby girl. Being blind, she was a bit fearful, but after getting the second rat she changed completely. She explored a lot more and loved to cuddle and groom with Nellie, my current girl. She also became friendlier to humans (she was friendly before, but shier.) So there is a significant psychological difference between keeping a pair and keeping a lone rat, due to their high social requirements. A human cannot groom and cuddle and sleep with a rat 24/7, so I have never recommend single rats to anybody.
Once I move in October, I will be looking into getting a new friend for her, since she has been sad and lonely after losing Bella.

For food, mine's the best I can find at the LPS, and its called Reggie Rat. I notice that she ignores the corn, but I think thats a good thing?

For a cage, she has this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is large enough to hold a trio of females or a pair of males.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #22 
Quinn

I used to own rats (males) and I miss them SO MUCH! They are awesome pets, but do require more attention and upkeep than people expect. If it weren't for my cramped quarters and their delightful odor ;) I would have them again in an instant! I personally prefer the cuddly boys, but they do smell more!
Obviously you've been doing a lot of research, but I'm happy to offer advice or answer questions you may have. Not that I'm an expert, but I do consider myself experienced :)

Edit: Also I strongly encourage looking into a rescue for your new friends. I was involved in some rescue efforts, and while I dont know the situation in rescue, I imagine it is just as if not more dire than it was years back when I was in the rat world. Also, frequently the rats have been evaluated and socialized, and will be healthier off the bat then MOST pet store stock.

Last edited by Quinn; 08-29-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #23 
Canis

Yeah, boys are much cuddlier, but also a lot smellier XD
Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #24 
Quinn

And a lot of people can't get over the whole "balls the size of their heads" thing!
If you go the rescue route you could also find a spayed/neutered group and have some of both!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #25 
Canis

Yeah *-* I'd love to get a neutered male, but there aren't any rescues around that do that, not even the humane society I volunteer at.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #26 
Quinn

Are you sure? I used to be on a rat forum and I know there were rescuers in that general area, and lots of "rat trains" transporting them all over states. I bet you could find one! Now you better be careful because I WILL find you one! Hahaha
Old 08-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #27 
Canis

Lol, I'll have to do some hunting ^^