Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #1 
Empathica

Filter flow and general setup questions. I'm new :)

Hi, I'm new here and I don't have a betta fish yet, but I am planning to get one as soon as I go back to college in September and am working on setting up my tank. I have this tank: it's a KollerCraft "Aquarius 360" 3 gallon.

This is what it looked like the first time I set it up with old things I had. I know I can't use those plastic plants with a betta. It came with a sort of bubble tube down the middle which was also supposed to serve as an under gravel filter, but I took it out because I didn't like it and it took up a lot of space. Instead, I plan to use the filter from my old tank, which is a Whisper micro filter intended for up to 5 gallons. I know that bettas don't do well in a lot of current and I noticed that my filter has a "low flow" setting. Is anyone familiar with whether using the low flow setting is gentle enough for a betta, or do I need to do anything additional? It does not seem to create a great deal of current to me, but I am not a long-finned fish. ;)

This is what it looks like now, without any water. What I have in there so far are a silk plant and a leaf hammock, and I am getting a decoration with lots of big holes (which I will test appropriately before using). I am also ordering a small heater. I have not owned a betta before but I have been doing my research :D

I wish that I could also have an African Dwarf Frog; I have had those before and have heard they can sometimes be paired with betta fish, but I think my tank might be a bit small and too tall vertically for that to work out well. Does that sound true?

I also had to do a bit of a strange workaround to replace the light, which was cheap and went out very quickly (I was given this tank as a gift and the original light was one of those "color changing" LED lights that make your tank look like a nightclub. It was overkill and started flickering/dying very quickly). I didn't want to order another of the same thing, but other types of lights won't fit my tank because it is cylindrical...yay. So I did this, does it look safe? :P

It's just a small lightbulb that fits through the hole, with a glass bottle over it. Took forever to find a bottle that would work...it's mostly just for peace of mind as a plain old lightbulb above water seemed somewhat dangerous, at least likely to stop working, but this stays in place perfectly. It looks nice in my opinion, but will it be too bright? It also does get rather warm, so I will watch to see if it heats the water at all. Don't want fish getting too warm. I have a pretty accurate thermometer in there and it went up when I turned the light on, but water could change things. Sorry if this is a crazy question, but I am perhaps a little crazy. lol

btw, these tanks are discounted all over Amazon right now, but I recommend you don't buy them. Yeah, they look very cool and I do love the cylindrical shape, but everything it comes with is cheap.
Empathica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #2 
Empathica

Also, can a 3 gallon tank be cycled reliably? I haven't worried about that before, and some say only 5 gallon and up can really do that. When I have a tank I change the water regularly and get the crud off the bottom and all that, but I haven't tested my water before. I know I should do that regardless X)

Hehe, you can see the little painting I did of a betta through the tank in the second picture...didn't do that on purpose :D yeah I'm a little excited to get my fish...
Old 08-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #3 
Empathica

Also sorry about the big photos. This is my first post here so I didn't know the edit button was going to go away before I got a chance to fix them :P
At least I made the text nice and big so it's easier to read, right? X)